Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    I'll take one of the greatest Directors living's definition of cinema over most people's.
    Why? He has the best reason to spin it to make himself look good.
    His version is certainly not Hitchcock's or Capra's or Ford's or Speilberg's.

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    My wife .. She loves reading about and studying WW2, so she was really into it.
    Irrefutable evidence that bambam is a very sharp man..or very lucky..or both.
    Last edited by user4; 11-09-2019 at 03:24 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    Have you seen the original Midway that debuted in 1976? And if so, is the 2019 version better? I really liked the 1976 version. I have not seen the 2019 version yet.
    I have not seen it but my wife has. She is not an unbiased observer in this instance, because her favorite actor was always Charlton Heston (or Sean Connery), who played in the original Midway. Her favorite movie of all-time is El Cid.

4. Collapse Details

My wife and I just saw Midway. It was pretty good. She loves reading about and studying WW2, so she was really into it.
    We saw it last night. Melodramatic with some pretty wooden acting, but incredibly realistic and visceral. I flinched in my seat several times and was totally enthralled by the action. Almost up to Dunkirk as a war movie, which would be my highest accolade.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    We saw it last night. Melodramatic with some pretty wooden acting, but incredibly realistic and visceral. I flinched in my seat several times and was totally enthralled by the action. Almost up to Dunkirk as a war movie, which would be my highest accolade.
    I will say I'd never heard of the actor playing the lead character (Ed Skrein playing Dick Best), but it was incredible casting. He looked about as much like the tough soldier we all want on our side as you could. Turns out he is British and a former rapper!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Why? He has the best reason to spin it to make himself look good.
    His version is certainly not Hitchcock's or Capra's or Ford's or Speilberg's.
    I can't see any of these mentioned viewing Super Hero movies as great Art. I loved the comics when a kid. When I was a child.....

7. Collapse Details

(Ed Skrein playing Dick Best), but it was incredible casting. He looked about as much like the tough soldier we all want on our side as you could. Turns out he is British and a former rapper!
    Totally agree. Both my wife and I remarked about that coming out. On the other hand, Woody Harrelson as Nimitz and Dennis Quaid as Halsey . . .