Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,772
    Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    I can agree with a lot of what Martin Scorsese said. However, I disagree with him when he says certain movies are not cinema. I can't stand those Marvel movies either (loved the comic books however) but I will not say they are not cinema.
    I would guess that he defines cinema differently than you do. We are all free to define it in our own way. How people define things is at the core of our similarities and differences.
    Last edited by jeremyp; 11-06-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,112
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    I would guess that he defines cinema differently than you do. We are all free to define it in our own way. How people define things is at the core of our similarities and differences.
    Totally agree, but when you are communicating, you must know your audience. His use of the word is not what MOST of the rest of us understand, so he fails the first rule of writing.
    We may be free to define a word however we wish, but as soon as we try to communicate our ideas to others, we sure as heck better use the words as others know them . . . or articulate OUR meaning clearly.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #13
    I think we can all agree that 2 of the finest examples of cinematic excellence in the last few decades were Wayne's World and Wayne's World 2. My wife has still not forgiven me for dragging her to Wayne's World 2
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,112
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    My wife has still not forgiven me for dragging her to Wayne's World 2
    I will never forgive myself for paying real money to go see Borat, which is, by far, the worst movie I have ever seen. Well, to be fair, we only made it 25 minutes in, up to the first rape joke.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I will never forgive myself for paying real money to go see Borat, which is, by far, the worst movie I have ever seen. Well, to be fair, we only made it 25 minutes in, up to the first rape joke.
    I was congratulating myself for a month for not seeing that one.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I will never forgive myself for paying real money to go see Borat, which is, by far, the worst movie I have ever seen. Well, to be fair, we only made it 25 minutes in, up to the first rape joke.
    Never did see it
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,830
    film/cinema/movie.... anyone else remember when we just went to the "picture show".?
    .and I have consciously never seen a Borat whatever it is...
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    film/cinema/movie.... anyone else remember when we just went to the "picture show".?
    .and I have consciously never seen a Borat whatever it is...
    They haven't had that since "The Last Picture Show" - that was the last one, so we don't have them anymore. My best buddy and I at Duke went to that and he walked out he was so bored by it. I managed to stay thru the whole thing.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Totally agree, but when you are communicating, you must know your audience. His use of the word is not what MOST of the rest of us understand, so he fails the first rule of writing.
    We may be free to define a word however we wish, but as soon as we try to communicate our ideas to others, we sure as heck better use the words as others know them . . . or articulate OUR meaning clearly.
    He said: "Many of the elements that define cinema"as I know it" are there in Marvel pictures.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,830
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    They haven't had that since "The Last Picture Show" - that was the last one, so we don't have them anymore. My best buddy and I at Duke went to that and he walked out he was so bored by it. I managed to stay thru the whole thing.
    What? You missed Sybill Shepherd in the indoor swimming pool scene?

    The movie was filmed in/around Archer City, Texas. Sadly,the actual last picture show across from the courthouse burned several years ago. Sam the Lion's pool hall survived.

    At one time several downtown buildings were Larry McMurtry owned bookstores.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •