Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    I can agree with a lot of what Martin Scorsese said. However, I disagree with him when he says certain movies are not cinema. I can't stand those Marvel movies either (loved the comic books however) but I will not say they are not cinema.
    I would guess that he defines cinema differently than you do. We are all free to define it in our own way. How people define things is at the core of our similarities and differences.
    Last edited by jeremyp; 11-06-2019 at 08:38 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    I would guess that he defines cinema differently than you do. We are all free to define it in our own way. How people define things is at the core of our similarities and differences.
    Totally agree, but when you are communicating, you must know your audience. His use of the word is not what MOST of the rest of us understand, so he fails the first rule of writing.
    We may be free to define a word however we wish, but as soon as we try to communicate our ideas to others, we sure as heck better use the words as others know them . . . or articulate OUR meaning clearly.

3. Collapse Details

I think we can all agree that 2 of the finest examples of cinematic excellence in the last few decades were Wayne's World and Wayne's World 2. My wife has still not forgiven me for dragging her to Wayne's World 2

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    My wife has still not forgiven me for dragging her to Wayne's World 2
    I will never forgive myself for paying real money to go see Borat, which is, by far, the worst movie I have ever seen. Well, to be fair, we only made it 25 minutes in, up to the first rape joke.

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I will never forgive myself for paying real money to go see Borat, which is, by far, the worst movie I have ever seen. Well, to be fair, we only made it 25 minutes in, up to the first rape joke.
    I was congratulating myself for a month for not seeing that one.

6. Collapse Details

Never did see it

7. Collapse Details

film/cinema/movie.... anyone else remember when we just went to the "picture show".?
    .and I have consciously never seen a Borat whatever it is...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    film/cinema/movie.... anyone else remember when we just went to the "picture show".?
    .and I have consciously never seen a Borat whatever it is...
    They haven't had that since "The Last Picture Show" - that was the last one, so we don't have them anymore. My best buddy and I at Duke went to that and he walked out he was so bored by it. I managed to stay thru the whole thing.

9. Collapse Details

Totally agree, but when you are communicating, you must know your audience. His use of the word is not what MOST of the rest of us understand, so he fails the first rule of writing.
    We may be free to define a word however we wish, but as soon as we try to communicate our ideas to others, we sure as heck better use the words as others know them . . . or articulate OUR meaning clearly.
    He said: "Many of the elements that define cinema"as I know it" are there in Marvel pictures.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    They haven't had that since "The Last Picture Show" - that was the last one, so we don't have them anymore. My best buddy and I at Duke went to that and he walked out he was so bored by it. I managed to stay thru the whole thing.
    What? You missed Sybill Shepherd in the indoor swimming pool scene?

The movie was filmed in/around Archer City, Texas. Sadly,the actual last picture show across from the courthouse burned several years ago. Sam the Lion's pool hall survived.

At one time several downtown buildings were Larry McMurtry owned bookstores.