Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lincoln - Kennedy
    Happy 56th birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who competed in one Olympic Games.

Our birthday athlete was born about 4,660 miles (7,501 km) from the stadium where this person won Olympic gold.

This Olympic champion was 18 days old when President John F. Kennedy was murdered.

No hurdles were involved in this Olympic gold medal.

Born on a Monday, our birthday champion is now the age of President Abraham Lincoln when he was murdered (56 years) some 154 years old.

You can skip Australia, North America, Asia, and Africa when thinking about the birth place of our birthday athlete.

When winning the Olympic gold medal, this athlete set an Olympic record.

It's a fact that our birthday athlete did not win the Olympic gold medal in North America, Europe, or Australia.

Can you name this Olympic champion? Please try now.

2. Collapse Details

From all of these clues, I deduce that it was a European who won his/her gold medal at the Seoul Olympics. But there were more than one of those, and I've no idea whose birthday it is.

3. Collapse Details

Yes, this athlete was born in Europe and won Olympic gold in Seoul (setting an Olympic record). I can also tell you that this champion was one of three men from a certain country to win the Olympic gold medal in Seoul and set a new Olympic record. Does that help?

4. Collapse Details

Nope.

5. Collapse Details

Just guessing. Gennadiy Avdeyenko.

6. Collapse Details

Happy birthday today to Gennadiy Avdeyenko (56). Very good, J Rorick. Of course you know (maybe not all of you) that Avdeyenko won the high jump in Seoul. He started out as a triple jumper and then moved to the high jump (good move). Avdeyenko represented the Soviet Union in 1988 (born in Ukraine). Good guess, J Rorick.

7. Collapse Details

Knew there were 3 Soviets (Avdeyenko, Bubka, Litvinov) who won @ Seoul. But there were 3 East Germans, too (Timmermann, Schult, Schenk). So I guessed Avdeyenko over Bubka & Schenk. Just checked to see when the others were born; Interestingly enough, Bubka was born exaxtly a month from today (Dec. 4, 1963). Schenk was a tad younger than I thought.

8. Collapse Details

Make that exactly one month after Avdeyenko, not from today.

9. Collapse Details

I still find it hard to believe that Bubka's only Olympic gold medal came at Seoul.

10. Collapse Details

The original clues indicated that the athlete competed in one Olympic games, which rules out Bubka, who was there several times without success.

When I read the original clues, I came to think of Tapio Korjus, who fits almost all of the clues but whom I knew to be a bit older. (He even made an "Olympic record," simply because the 1988 Olympics were the first with the new javelin.)