Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    What of the Bekeles and Gebs and ... etc with ranges from 800/1500 to the marathon, some with multiple XC Golds as well.
    By "at this time" I mean currently (and male only). Currently, Bekele is only doing road and Geb has retired.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    What of the Bekeles and Gebs and ... etc with ranges from 800/1500 to the marathon, some with multiple XC Golds as well.
    Geb never won a major title on XC. (One bronze at world XC.)

    Bekele won:
    Three Olympic Golds and five world titles on outdoor track.
    One world indoor title.
    11 World XC titles.
    Two WMM titles.

    So he is the man of all surfaces.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    What of the Bekeles and Gebs and ... etc with ranges from 800/1500 to the marathon, some with multiple XC Golds as well.
    Im not sure about Paula. But did Geb and Bekele ever have seasons where they excelled on the track, on the grass, on half marathons and in full marathons, all in the same season?
    Note: Kamworor has never stopped participating in all categories. He goes back and forth like Deion Sanders. He never picks a comfort zone. That is the gist of the article.
    Last edited by mungo man; 11-05-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    Eaton, mayer and JJK are distance runners?
    No. But they are versatile athletes.

    The Kenya Page Blog referenced in the post called Kamworor, "The most versatile distance runner ever", not the most versatile athlete ever, which is a meaningful distinction. Their contention is that Kamworer is excelling on the track, road, and XC simultaneously, as opposed to Geb, KB, EK, and others who did so sequentially.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,105
    Quote Originally Posted by mungo man View Post
    Im not sure about Paula ...
    In 2002, Paula won gold at the World XC, then ranked 4, 1, & 1 in the 5,000, 10,000, and marathon. She was T&FN's AOY that year.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    No. But they are versatile athletes.

    The Kenya Page Blog referenced in the post called Kamworor, "The most versatile distance runner ever", not the most versatile athlete ever, which is a meaningful distinction. Their contention is that Kamworer is excelling on the track, road, and XC simultaneously, as opposed to Geb, KB, EK, and others who did so sequentially.
    Here is the definition of versatility from dictionary.com

    "capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.:"

    I am emphasize the word "easily". Nobody transitions from one surface to another and from one category to another as easily as Kamworor. And he does this every year.

    Bekele doesn't transition easily. He picks a comfort spot and stays there. And since he picked the marathon and abandoned the track, his performance has been inconsistent.
    Last edited by mungo man; 11-05-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,105
    Quote Originally Posted by mungo man View Post
    Here is the definition of versatility from dictionary.com

    "capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.:"

    I am emphasize the word "easily". Nobody transitions from one surface to another and from one category to another as easily as Kamworor.

    Bekele doesn't transition easily. He picks a comfort spot and stays there. And since he picked the marathon and abandoned the track, his performance has been inconsistent.
    Well said!
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by mungo man View Post
    Here is the definition of versatility from dictionary.com

    "capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.:"

    I am emphasize the word "easily". Nobody transitions from one surface to another and from one category to another as easily as Kamworor. And he does this every year.

    Bekele doesn't transition easily. He picks a comfort spot and stays there. And since he picked the marathon and abandoned the track, his performance has been inconsistent.
    Arguably, during his peak (2003-2009), Bekele was almost unbeatable in both XC and track. And there was no half marathon championships until 2009.

    Kamworor's track results are so-so, relatively to his road and XC achievements. Yes but I do agree with that his transition in surfaces are impressive.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    No. But they are versatile athletes.

    The Kenya Page Blog referenced in the post called Kamworor, "The most versatile distance runner ever", not the most versatile athlete ever, which is a meaningful distinction. Their contention is that Kamworer is excelling on the track, road, and XC simultaneously, as opposed to Geb, KB, EK, and others who did so sequentially.
    So why bring up multi-eventers when you know that the article is about versatility of distance runners?

    Everyone knows that decathletes and hepthathletes are versatile.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #30
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    Arguably, during his peak (2003-2009), Bekele was almost unbeatable in both XC and track. And there was no half marathon championships until 2009.....
    Half-Marathon Champs started way back in '92

    https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/ia...nships/history
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •