Facts, Not Fiction

 

Thread: 4x1 Wisdom

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. Collapse Details
    4x1 Wisdom
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,073
    I read the home-page-linked article of this subject and was amused to see that what was termed 'conventional wisdom' has been discredited here for along time. We didn't need the new accelaraion rules to realize that your fastest runner can do the most damage in the second spot.
    I would say that conventional wisdom is actually that you're looking for

    1. A great starter ON THE CURVE
    2. best overall top speed
    3. someone who can keep their top speed on the curve
    4. your most 'competitive' runner; will respond positively to the pressures of anchor.

    and . . . sometimes your 2nd or 3rd fastest sprinter is not the right person to put on your team at all. Relay running takes presence of mind and some sprinters don't have it.

    The 'art' of being a coach is that sometimes it's only one person that embodies al those traits, so you have to make do with what you have, but even then, there IS a best order.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mineral City
    Posts
    3,788
    I think the U.S. got it right in Doha. Once Gatlin retires, I don't see a problem in replacing him, but I would definitely keep Coleman on the first leg and Lyles on the anchor leg. If they can practice together enough, then I believe they will break the world record.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    I think the U.S. got it right in Doha. Once Gatlin retires, I don't see a problem in replacing him, but I would definitely keep Coleman on the first leg and Lyles on the anchor leg. If they can practice together enough, then I believe they will break the world record.
    I must agree with you on this.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    3,121
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    I think the U.S. got it right in Doha. Once Gatlin retires, I don't see a problem in replacing him, but I would definitely keep Coleman on the first leg and Lyles on the anchor leg. If they can practice together enough, then I believe they will break the world record.
    Agreed...Coleman and Lyles for years to come.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,473
    Lyles on second also makes sense, giving him the longest leg and building a big lead, which can be intimidating. Also important is the handoffs - who to have for two (1/4) and who to have for two (2/3).
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Lyles on second also makes sense, giving him the longest leg and building a big lead, which can be intimidating. Also important is the handoffs - who to have for two (1/4) and who to have for two (2/3).
    If the U.S. is behind, for whatever reason, I really would like to have Lyles on anchor. But that's just me.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,473
    Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    If the U.S. is behind, for whatever reason, I really would like to have Lyles on anchor. But that's just me.
    If the US is behind with Coleman to Lyles then bad stuff has happened. It seems highly unlikely to occur in a race going somewhat smoothly. Coleman could gain 2 meters and Lyles another 2 meters, and that is assuming the top other two legs are on the same team. But if there is going to be a semi-super anchor running down, say, Ronnie Baker, then that guy is not in the first two, and the gap is larger. This notion that you can same a lot by having someone some where and not give up the advantage elsewhere is odd, especially where, in the case of having Lyles on second, he gets to run further and is almost certainly pulls further away as his 200 ability gives him greater speed over the 90-120 meter range at the end of the zone.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    I’d agree with that. The next best (GBR) will hopefully have a healthy Prescod next year, but his lack of relay practice would see him on 4th. Ujah-Hughes-Gemili are likely the best first three as things stand, but unlikely to put enough pressure on. NMB at his best should be in the line-up, but the issue is where you put legs, as neither Gemili or NMB are super starters, and Hughes/Prescod would do more damage on straights.

    Danny Talbot is an excellent third leg runner, back in training now, and Ujah a great starter, so there are options - but sometimes having more options can be a bad thing when it comes to teams getting drilled!
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    If the US is behind with Coleman to Lyles then bad stuff has happened. It seems highly unlikely to occur in a race going somewhat smoothly. Coleman could gain 2 meters and Lyles another 2 meters, and that is assuming the top other two legs are on the same team. But if there is going to be a semi-super anchor running down, say, Ronnie Baker, then that guy is not in the first two, and the gap is larger. This notion that you can same a lot by having someone some where and not give up the advantage elsewhere is odd, especially where, in the case of having Lyles on second, he gets to run further and is almost certainly pulls further away as his 200 ability gives him greater speed over the 90-120 meter range at the end of the zone.
    Lets not over think this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right now, it is not broken.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,073
    Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    Lets not over think this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right now, it is not broken.
    I don't think anyone assumes that the USA relay woes have been solved just because we didn't botch the passes THIS time.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •