Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Briana Williams as gAOY choice
    Did Williams even run any races for Northeast HS this past spring?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    Did Williams even run any races for Northeast HS this past spring?
    Is that a requirement? Is it germane? A number of top high school athletes eventually end up not competing for their high school, sometimes because high school competition rules prevent them from competing in events that provide real competition. Note that in Mondo's senior year there were eight(?) high school vaulters over 18'/5.50, this year there were none. In fact, the same vaulter that was the last one to beat Mondo in high school was also the last one to beat him in college.

3. Collapse Details

So we have a kid that wins US HS Athlete of year who
    1. Didn't run an individual race for her high school
    2. Failed a drug test
    3. Runs for a foreign country
    Sounds about right.

4. Collapse Details

What drug test did she fail? I do not think that you have the terminology correct. She had a test that led to a hearing and at the hearing I think that it was determined that she did not have a doping violation. Since she ran in the WCs clearly she was not suspended at all once the hearing was held.

Is everybody that gets arrested guilty?
    Mondo competed for a foreign country
    It is not unheard of for the top athletes to not compete for their schools for a variety of reasons. One that I can think of off the top of my head is Emily Sisson. State associations often have rules on competitions that do not fit the athlete, and it in no way makes her not a high school student and not an athlete (until she turns pro).

I suspect that those that voted for this award were better informed and less affected by their one conceptions than those here complaining.

5. Collapse Details
    Briana Williams as gAOY choice
    Administrator
    this deserves its own thread

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    What drug test did she fail? I do not think that you have the terminology correct. She had a test that led to a hearing and at the hearing I think that it was determined that she did not have a doping violation. Since she ran in the WCs clearly she was not suspended at all once the hearing was held.

Is everybody that gets arrested guilty?
    Mondo competed for a foreign country
    It is not unheard of for the top athletes to not compete for their schools for a variety of reasons. One that I can think of off the top of my head is Emily Sisson. State associations often have rules on competitions that do not fit the athlete, and it in no way makes her not a high school student and not an athlete (until she turns pro).

I suspect that those that voted for this award were better informed and less affected by their one conceptions than those here complaining.
    Mondo ran the 100m (made state finals/ won regionals), Long jumped (limited) and won the indoor and outdoor state championships. He also almost got his HS eligibility revoked when he wanted to go jump at the Texas relays. He did not wear a Swedish kit during his high school year.......Williams ran on relays at state and a few invitationals.....

7. Collapse Details

I think the criteria is simply that the athlete was a high school student for the school year, who would have been eligible for their team. Is that about right?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    I think the criteria is simply that the athlete was a high school student for the school year, who would have been eligible for their team. Is that about right?
    Assuming this is the case, yes... She certainly deserved the AOY designation. If she had been suspended for that drug test, I may say otherwise. Not every elite HS athlete has a school team that will support their training or coordinate with a private coach.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    If she didn't represent her high school, nor did she represent the U.S., then how is she different then any athlete globally who is in high school?

I remember in 1991, Maria Mutola moved to the U.S., and attended Springfield High School in Oregon, but did not run for the school. That year she ran some phenomenal times, and T&FN expressly mentioned that she was not eligible for HS records or AOY consideration because she did not represent her school. Have the rules changed since then?

I would understand if Williams attended high school in the US, and represented the US while not competing for her school, how she would be eligible for AOY consideration. I would also understand if she represented Jamaica internationally, but ran for her high school, but since she did neither, it's hard for me to wrap my head around how she is eligible for AOY consideration.

10. Collapse Details

Mutola moved to the US as an international-level runner who moved here for running opportunities and coaching not in a high school context. And, from #16 above:
    Williams ran on relays at state and a few invitationals.....