Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Enriqueta Basilio - RIP
    Norma Enriqueta "Queta" Basilio Sotelo died on 26 October 2019. She was the first woman to light the Olympic Torch at the Opening Ceremony, which she did at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics. A sprinter and hurdler, Basilio Sotelo also competed at the 1968 Olympics, running the 400 m, 80 m hurdles, and on the Mexican 4x100 relay.

2. Collapse Details

Sorry to hear this news. I sat very close to the stairs leading to the Olympic torch when she was the first woman to light the Olympic Torch at the Opening Ceremonies. That was quite a thrill for me 51 years ago this month.

3. Collapse Details

Because I thought the 80 hurdle and 400 m flat was an unusual combination, I ran a check thru our Olympic database. Enriqueta Basilio is the only woman to have ever run the 400 metres (flat) and the high hurdles (80 or 100) at the same Olympics. Further, she is the only woman to have ever run both races at the Olympics - at any time.

4. Collapse Details

Watch her at 1:00 to 2:30 min running up the stairs to the lit the Olympic torch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVsQYRZgb10
    Absolutely a beautiful moment in Olympics history.

5. Collapse Details

I think this is the best film of the lighting of the Olympic torch there is.

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    I think this is the best film of the lighting of the Olympic torch there is.
    She was so beautiful.