Facts, Not Fiction

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

There is now a Scientific study that suggests that even with reduced testosterone, people who went through puberty as men have a signficiant advantage over women. This ought to be a no brainer. But I guess a scientific study had to be done.

2. Collapse Details

I had a good friend who looked like a small body builder (he was a pro golfer) and I asked him once how long he had been lifting. He said he had only lifted weights for about 18 months but he did it when he was 16-17 years old, during his testosterone storm, and he got big very quickly and had maintained it.

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I had a good friend who looked like a small body builder (he was a pro golfer) and I asked him once how long he had been lifting. He said he had only lifted weights for about 18 months but he did it when he was 16-17 years old, during his testosterone storm, and he got big very quickly and had maintained it.
    I can recall a few friends in HS, some didnt even lift weights and looked like perfect body builders.
    Then there were the guys on wrestling teams, they didnt look like body builders and they didnt lift weights but they had gorilla grip and if you tangled with them they could tie you in a knot.
    Last edited by user4; 11-04-2019 at 11:15 PM.

4. Collapse Details

I had both my sons doing weights during puberty - there's nothing like perfectly legal power-drugs like natural testosterone in copious amounts. Nothing silly, but enough to make a difference in their future sports endeavors.

5. Collapse Details

Color me skeptical about his claim of maintaining it without any ongoing work.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

6. Collapse Details

In the meantime, June Eastwood dominated the Big Sky Championships with her 8th place finish, 44 seconds behind the winner. She is scheduled to continue her dominance in the NCAA Regional in two weeks. Stay tuned.

https://www.tfrrs.org/results/xc/163...ionship#113944

7. Collapse Details

When I was younger (under 40), there were times when I didn't lift weights for a year or more and I still had 80-85% of my strength when I started lifting again.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    In the meantime, June Eastwood dominated the Big Sky Championships with her 8th place finish, 44 seconds behind the winner. She is scheduled to continue her dominance in the NCAA Regional in two weeks. Stay tuned.

https://www.tfrrs.org/results/xc/163...ionship#113944
    Granted, she isn't dominating, and isn't running nearly as well as when she was a he. But women's competition, in my oft-stated opinion, should be restricted to xx women.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Granted, she isn't dominating, and isn't running nearly as well as when she was a he.
    I think you're mistaken because Eastwood was never this good as a man, finishing in the middle of the pack and worse.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I think you're mistaken because Eastwood was never this good as a man, finishing in the middle of the pack and worse.
    This depends on what the comparison is. Eastwood was 30th in Conference two years ago. So her relative standings moved up significantly, while the absolute time got slower. This shows the flaw (or limitation) of current NCAA policy, which needs revision.

I am not sure if it is okay as long as a given athlete stays at the same "level" against the field. (Eastwood finishing 30th as opposed to 8th.) On the one hand, that still bumps another runner from the All Conference honor. And it is essentially unilateral in the sense an FtM trans athlete is not going to bump a male athlete from All Conference.

On the other hand, what's the difference between that and a Kenyan (or any other foreign) athlete bumping an American athlete from the standings? (I am not suggesting they are identical. My question is what the fundamental difference between the two situations is.)

I am inclined to think that trans athletes should be limited to mixed gender open competitions, as long as such opportunities are available. However, another option would be to allow MtF athletes compete against women without making them eligible for any award or counting their performances toward the team standings (basically treating them like "unattached" athletes). Having an "extra" athlete creates a problem in sprint events (unless you have nine lanes), but it shouldn't be a big trouble for distance or field events.