Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Yeomen & Bronze Star
    Happy birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who was born 119 years ago today and died at the age of 84 less than one year after the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games.

Our birthday athlete did not compete in the Olympic hurdles or any of the jumping events.

This champion's Olympic gold medal came with a world record.

You may already know that this athlete won Olympic gold in Europe and was not born in Africa, Asia, or Australia.

Only 23 years old when winning that Olympic gold medal, our birthday person competed in only one Olympics.

Go ahead and name this Olympic champion for this final Friday of October.

2. Collapse Details

Well it's not Eric Liddell , as he died long before 1984. That's the best I can on this one.

3. Collapse Details

Bill Stevenson - 1924 4x400 relay gold - only track & field Olympic gold medalist from the USA to have been awarded a Rhodes Scholarship

4. Collapse Details

It is Bill Stevenson who ran the second leg (49.2) on the U.S. winning relay team in Paris (1924). This team set a world record of 3:16.0. Nice going bambam1729. You are right about Stevenson's Rhodes Scholarship. He also earned the Bronze Star during World War II and was president of Oberlin College in Ohio for several years.

You were definitely on the right track, dukehjsteve. I suppose Eric Liddell might have run on the British four by 400 relay team in Paris (they were third place) had that race not been on a Sunday.

5. Collapse Details

OK, trivia for bambam only...name a Stevenson that won his event in the '64 SFOTs, but then got bumped off the team in the FOTs when he finished only 6th ?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    OK, trivia for bambam only...name a Stevenson that won his event in the '64 SFOTs, but then got bumped off the team in the FOTs when he finished only 6th ?
    Can't remember his first name but he was a javelin thrower, if I recall correctly

7. Collapse Details

OK, just looked it up and I got the javelin part correct. But you have an error - he actually only finished 8th at the FOT. I'll not mention the first name since I looked it up.

8. Collapse Details

Good work my fellow Dukester... Jim Stevenson, from Penn State ( I think ) in the javelin. He was replaced on the team by a fellow with a very short and colorful name. Sorry about the 8 vs. 6 slip up !
    Last edited by dukehjsteve; 10-26-2019 at 01:48 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Good work my fellow Dukester... Jim Stevenson, from Penn State ( I think ) in the javelin. He was replaced on the team by a fellow with a very short and colorful name. Sorry about the 8 vs. 6 slip up !
    Ed Red

10. Collapse Details

One of my favorite names in Olympic track and field.