Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quantum Computers
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    If validated, the report by Google’s AI Quantum team constitutes a major leap for quantum computing, a technology that relies on the bizarre behavior of tiny particles to encode huge amounts of information. According to a paper published Wednesday in the journal Nature, Google’s Sycamore processor performed in less than three and a half minutes a calculation that would take the most powerful classical computer on the planet 10,000 years to complete.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...nl_most&wpmm=1

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Google’s Sycamore processor performed in less than three and a half minutes a calculation that would take the most powerful classical computer on the planet 10,000 years to complete.
    Great! That's all SkyNet needs to perfect AI that will subjugate and destroy humanity!

Seriously though, this breakthrough will ultimately enable medical and environmental (and other) AIs that can save us and the planet!!

3. Collapse Details

Curious what quantum computing will do to financial transactions via the internet. Current methods use an algorithm (usually RSA - named for the 3 guys who invented it) that relies on the factoring of very large numbers. This works because for a random large enough number, it cannot be factored in a person's lifetime, even when using a powerful computer. If quantum computer works as it says it does, anyone will be able to factor those numbers and break the safeguards that have allowed the internet to flourish as a financial marketplace.

4. Collapse Details

That's it. It's all over. Shut down the machines and make your way to the nearest exit. Terminators are already suiting up to come get us.

On the other hand, I wonder if QC could fix the IAAF rankings.........

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    According to a paper published Wednesday in the journal Nature, Google’s Sycamore processor performed in less than three and a half minutes a calculation that would take the most powerful classical computer on the planet 10,000 years to complete.
    IBM said it would take only 2.5 days for a classical computer.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Curious what quantum computing will do to financial transactions via the internet. Current methods use an algorithm (usually RSA - named for the 3 guys who invented it) that relies on the factoring of very large numbers. This works because for a random large enough number, it cannot be factored in a person's lifetime, even when using a powerful computer. If quantum computer works as it says it does, anyone will be able to factor those numbers and break the safeguards that have allowed the internet to flourish as a financial marketplace.
    Cryptography experts are already working on quantum-resistant encryption algorithms, and those will be solidified and widely implemented years before quantum computers become common enough and cheap enough to cause that sort of trouble.

So you don't need to worry about your far-future transactions being decrypted in transit. The only realistic worry where quantum decryption is concerned is if somebody is saving today's encrypted transmissions with the intention of decrypting them 25+ years from now with a quantum computer. Or if they find an old hard drive that was encrypted before the adoption of quantum-resistant algorithms.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    IBM said it would take only 2.5 days for a classical computer.
    So by classical, I assume they mean Watson, their SUPER-computer.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So by classical, I assume they mean Watson, their SUPER-computer.
    The comparison apparently was against IBM's Summit supercomputer, which has more raw computing power than Watson.

8. Collapse Details

Do you suppose these geniuses could get my scanner to work on my new Windows 10 computer?

9. Collapse Details

Here is what I (in my not-so-numerically oriented mind) do not get:
    If the quantum calculations would take thousands of years to process on "classical" computers, how do we know the result of the calculations are correct?

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    Here is what I (in my not-so-numerically oriented mind) do not get:
    If the quantum calculations would take thousands of years to process on "classical" computers, how do we know the result of the calculations are correct?
    One way is the prime factorization of some huge number that would take eons on a normal computer....multiplying those numbers to see if it is correct is trivial.