Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Bringing quantum computers to the masses will require a fundamentally different physical design. Right now quantum computers are in the equivalent stage of vacuum tube computers in the 1950s.
    Which is my point. Should we expect the same rate of progress in miniaturizing and enlarging their capacity?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Which is my point. Should we expect the same rate of progress in miniaturizing and enlarging their capacity?
    If they can get them to work without the supercooling infrastructure or giant magnets or other hefty equipment around the actual computing parts, I would think yes. At the core of it all, they're just manipulating subatomic particles, without the need for accelerating them to high energy levels like in a particle collider.

But they're still not close to a next-generation qubit technology, like with the jump from vacuum tubes to transistors. My statement above about vacuum tube computers in the 1950s should really say 1940s, since transistors were introduced in the 1950s.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    But they're still not close to a next-generation qubit technology,
    That's too bad. The closer we get to bigger QCs, the more quickly their AIs will unlock the remaining pieces of disease prevention/control/eradication. Not that I want to live to be 150 (unless, of course I can get a cyborg body!), but I am convinced that aging can be 'cured'.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    . . . I am convinced that aging can be 'cured'.
    And what would Malthus say about that?

5. Collapse Details

Here is what I (in my not-so-numerically oriented mind) do not get:
    If the quantum calculations would take thousands of years to process on "classical" computers, how do we know the result of the calculations are correct?
    One way is the prime factorization of some huge number that would take eons on a normal computer....multiplying those numbers to see if it is correct is trivial.
    Good answer, Conor. One that makes sense to even history majors who never got beyond Algebra II !

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    And what would Malthus say about that?
    His ideas would be obsolete, made so by the AI, which would turn its attention (now unencumbered by human fallacy!) to climate change and overpopulation. It would discover that the Earth is sick with an infection, and the obvious solution is to eradicate the source of that infection - man!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    Here is what I (in my not-so-numerically oriented mind) do not get:
    If the quantum calculations would take thousands of years to process on "classical" computers, how do we know the result of the calculations are correct?
    At least with encryption/ decryption, you can look at the results to know if it is correct. With other complex calculations it gets tricky since you may not be able to solve the problem otherwise.