Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: peruse THIS!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=gh;2729918]Merriam-Webster on the other hand gives as its first definition

Definition of peruse
    1a: to examine or consider with attention and in detail : STUDY ***I have kept count over the last couple of months 2 of the last 6
    b: to look over or through in a casual or cursory manner 4 of the last 6---- 2 of those 4 were "I said I perused it I did not say I study it." when asked for an opinion on a specific facet of the issue.
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

2. Collapse Details

For some reason peruse is a common word in my experience, and it always meant what I originally referred to (and above), 'look at but not study carefully in its entirety".

I peruse the newspaper every morning, looking through it, but only reading the articles that seem interesting.

I have not heard it in the other sense . . . I would not 'peruse' a store. So I did learn something here.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    For some reason peruse is a common word in my experience, and it always meant what I originally referred to (and above), 'look at but not study carefully in its entirety".
    That's the way I first learned the meaning of the word, probably in high school. Many years later, I saw the word used in the other sense. I thought it was wrong, looked it up, and found that indeed the word has two entirely opposite meanings. I stopped using the word completely. It's too easy to be misunderstood.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I stopped using the word completely. It's too easy to be misunderstood.
    I'll guess that I use it in conversation with an adjective/adverb that implies a lack of scrutiny, as in 'I was just perusing the xxxx,' or 'A quick perusal shows that . . ..'

5. Collapse Details

I just had to write an editorial for the January 2020 issue of J Shoulder Elbow Surgery. Atticus, and hopefully all message boarders, will be proud to hear that I snuck "peruse" into the editorial

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    1. I just had to write an editorial for the January 2020 issue of J Shoulder Elbow Surgery.

2. Atticus, and hopefully all message boarders, will be proud to hear that I snuck "peruse" into the editorial
    1. My favorite magazine!
    2. Hopefully your readers won't be as skeptical of your use as the denizens of this board were of mine!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    1. My favorite magazine!
    2. Hopefully your readers won't be as skeptical of your use as the denizens of this board were of mine!
    I was fine with peruse. It was reperuse I had a probem with!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I was fine with peruse. It was reperuse I had a probem with!
    Then you'll really like the neologism: rerere

which refers to an email chain of replies where the re: gets repeated over and over in the title.