Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    World Athletics Continental Tour
    Administrator
    the IAAF release on the DL schedule also noted the creation of this baby, which although it doesn't say one way or another, I assume replaces the existing World Challenge series.

It was nice to see that somebody in Monaco had their thinking caps on and addressed one of the ongoing complaints about the world rankings system, that as construed it gave an unfair advantage to those able to get into the DL meets.

As the press release says, "The world rankings system will be structured so that athletes in every discipline will earn the same level of points at their highest available one-day meeting series, whether that is in the Diamond League or the new tour."

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    the IAAF release on the DL schedule also noted the creation of this baby, which although it doesn't say one way or another, I assume replaces the existing World Challenge series.

It was nice to see that somebody in Monaco had their thinking caps on and addressed one of the ongoing complaints about the world rankings system, that as construed it gave an unfair advantage to those able to get into the DL meets.

As the press release says, "The world rankings system will be structured so that athletes in every discipline will earn the same level of points at their highest available one-day meeting series, whether that is in the Diamond League or the new tour."
    Does it do that? I read the press release as increasing the Continental Tour points only for events which are dropped from the Diamond League.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    you may well be right; I read it (English can be so much fun!) to say that if you couldn't get into a DL meet, then you got the same points for a CT meet.

I suspect your version makes more sense

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That makes more sense...the whole idea is to get the best to show up at DL on the cheap....not that I blame them...so a change in course was bewildering ....

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    but another thought.... if an event's not in the DL (i.e., one of the one's that's dropped; let's make one up, the men's baseball throw) what good does it do a men's baseball player to be getting the same amount of rankings points in a CT meet if there's never that event in the DL? He only cares about points in his own event and if the event is never above CT level then it doesn't matter how many points it gets.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    but another thought.... if an event's not in the DL (i.e., one of the one's that's dropped; let's make one up, the men's baseball throw) what good does it do a men's baseball player to be getting the same amount of rankings points in a CT meet if there's never that event in the DL? He only cares about points in his own event and if the event is never above CT level then it doesn't matter how many points it gets.
    Between the byzantine Rankings algorithm and the dysfunctional way the IAAF handled the invites to fill fields, we're right back to the 'is this any way to run a railroad?' observation.