Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Athletes now are screaming...And few are listening I am afraid....
    I thought the letter from Global Throwing to Sebastian Coe (featured on the home page) included some pretty good arguments, but it went a bit over the top by quoting Greta Thunberg ("how dare you...").

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I read it...it mentioned these cuts are for short term marketing....for long term marketing....they probably should cut even more....

Also the comparison to World Cup football is irrelevant.....

3. Collapse Details

Also mentioning its history is fine if you are talking the Olympics but as why it should be part of an entertainment package, which is what DL is, seems dubious for attracting the general fan....

4. Collapse Details

Question
    Who is going to pay and watch bunch of 10.2's 100 m runners?
    Most fan in stands in HS meets are relatives and friend of family. There are more fans in stands for certain college meets such as conference championships.
    What are you saying GHM?
    T&F does not have very large fan base at least in US. Boy that is a big news!
    Do you have a solution GHM?
    No but I would like to suggest a bit more relays (Track and field) events. I always advocated mixed relays in running. We can expand to jumps and throws.
    Example: Add top two best jumps of a woman and a man in LJ or TJ. Mixed Ekiden.

Also I suggest dressing athletes in different and distinguished colors. You all saw eight athletes at the end of 5000m from three countries wearing same color Nike uniforms. Nike can afford to give the white, red, green, blue, and orange!

Reality: T&F will not die as long as there is an Olympics. It only going to fade and fight for coverage with swimming and volleyball.
    Last edited by GHM; 11-09-2019 at 10:26 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Tianna Bartoletta's blog on the DL cuts is now on the front page. Powerful stuff.

6. Collapse Details

I've read it twice....Besides the annoying format.....not sure at all what she is getting at....run for free...or what...put your own meet on....run for fun....Okey Dokey...

There is little money in track anymore....yet people write like the IAAF is GM back in its heyday...when it is more like the present Sears...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-09-2019 at 06:21 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Jonathan Edwards on Twitter:

@JDE66
    There are so many things wrong with @WorldAthletics decision re @Diamond_League
    events but what @usainbolt showed athletics is that it’s not about events but personalities and to exclude and alienate one of the sport’s true stars @Taylored2jump
    is beyond comprehension
    So how in many Diamond League meets did Bolt run in his last year of competition? Answer - 1. OK, how about the year before that? Same answer - 1.

Christian Taylor could do that next year.

8. Collapse Details

If the 90 minute TV time slot is that important, why not start the discus and triple jump before that, and show highlights tape delayed during pauses in the live action ? I'm just afraid that even with a strong Olympic tradition, those events can't survive with no paydays for the athletes in the intervening 4 years. Sponsors won't sponsor someone who appears that infrequently. I hope this dumb decision will be reversed.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I've read it twice....Besides the annoying format.....not sure at all what she is getting at....run for free...or what...put your own meet on....run for fun....Okey Dokey...

There is little money in track anymore....yet people write like the IAAF is GM back in its heyday...when it is more like the present Sears...
    Agree. Her blogs are hard to read sometimes. Makes me switch off.

10. Collapse Details

I agree that they are tough to read, but they're almost always worth reading.