Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by mungo man View Post
    Reading between the lines, it seems that if an athlete is too dominant in an event, there is a high risk that the event will be dropped. IAAF says people want to see head to head competition.
    Unless his name is Usain Bolt...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bhall View Post
    Average Game Time

NFL 3h 12m
    NBA 2h 16m
    MLB 3h 10m
    NHL 2h 20m
    MLS 1h 52m
    Comparing team sports to an individual thing like track is pointless...

If you only came to a meet to watch Bolt you certainly don't care who wins the mile...

3. Collapse Details

Don't look for any new Emma Coburns coming out of the NCAAs for the next 20 years or so.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Don't look for any new Emma Coburns coming out of the NCAAs for the next 20 years or so.
    Why do you say that? Steeplechase was reduced from 7 meets to 5 correct?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    Why do you say that? Steeplechase was reduced from 7 meets to 5 correct?
    And eliminated as a DL event, which means no participation in the DL final and its prize money.

Also could have consequences for prize money at the meetings at which the steeple is held. Looking at the rules for last year's DL qualification meetings, there is only specification of the prize money for the DL disciplines, not for non-DL events also held at those meetings.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    And eliminated as a DL event, which means no participation in the DL final and its prize money.

Also could have consequences for prize money at the meetings at which the steeple is held. Looking at the rules for last year's DL qualification meetings, there is only specification of the prize money for the DL disciplines, not for non-DL events also held at those meetings.
    I get all that, but the Coburn example doesn't make sense to me, because I seriously doubt more than 0.01% of college track and field athletes put that much thought into there choice of event, that it would be affected by this sort of thing happening.

7. Collapse Details

Did they release the full popularity rank of the events outside of the top 6 mentioned? Maybe I need to be a casual fan to understand how HJ or JT are more popular than the TJ right now...

Also, someone remind me why the 3000m, a non OG/WC event, is included in the program? Was it included in the popularity vote and ranked higher than the TJ, Discus and Steeple?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Did they release the full popularity rank of the events outside of the top 6 mentioned? Maybe I need to be a casual fan to understand how HJ or JT are more popular than the TJ right now...
    Concur. The only events that are hard to muster broad appeal for are the 10000 and HT. Everything else should be in play on a rotating basis, across every calendar year.

The 3k is, pardon my French, a bastard event. Yes, the time to run it fits in better to the TV window, but my solution is to start the 5K five minutes before the broadcast, so we are in medias res when the show begins. Same with the Vert jumps. Get thru the lower bars off-pgm (we nutzoids can watch them on NBCG). Keep the Horizes at 4 attempts, but no more of this elimination crap!

T&F . . . the IAAF, oh, sorry, the WTF, needs to cater to the core-fans. Everyone else will find something interesting. We live in the DVR age, where few watch things live any more, so you have to please the people that brung ya.
    Last edited by Atticus; 11-07-2019 at 01:26 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post

Also, someone remind me why the 3000m, a non OG/WC event, is included in the program? Was it included in the popularity vote and ranked higher than the TJ, Discus and Steeple?
    The Africans in the men's dominate the 5 and steeple....having the 3000 gives the European runners, what few they have, a chance I suppose...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    my solution is to start the 5K five minutes before the broadcast, so we are in medias res when the show begins.
    The typical DL telecast begins with one of the hurdles events--often the 400H. That allows time to set up the hurdles without creating dead time in the telecast.