Facts, Not Fiction

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

In addition to multiple Hammer (and Dec) WR's outside of the DL, the two most recent world records to be set at DL meetings were in the women's steeplechase.
    Last edited by ATK; 11-12-2019 at 02:06 AM.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Wow....a WR, or even two, at a small meet...that would be horrible...

https://www.nrk.no/video/PS*76117
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-12-2019 at 02:57 AM.

3. Collapse Details

A WR in any meet is amazing, the point is that the IAAF is removing events from its flagship DL meetings which are the likeliest to produce WRs going by this season, which is ridiculous. What better way to help promote the sport and the DL by realistic WR attempts and possibilities.

Trying to ensure the sport stays relevant in the market is necessary, but they have it completely wrong in thinking removing certain events is the answer. It is totally, totally misguided. There are many other ways to make the sport appealing without destroying events.
    Already removing the HT, and now the DT, so that meeting directors dont have to have a cage interfering with other events, or not having the time to showcase both the TJ and the LJ within a 90 min slot, is totally ridiculous when we have been having athletics meetings with cage throws and horizontal jumps since forever. World Athletics needs a lesson in marketing.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    see link on home page for the distribution of events for '20 DL season

5. Collapse Details

Looks like Zurich is going to struggle fitting all those events into the 90 minute TV window.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    obviously, that's not the plan

IAAF press release of August 26

<<The Diamond League finals will feature a 150-minute international broadcast, an hour longer than the regular season meetings,>>
    Last edited by gh; 11-15-2019 at 05:41 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Unfortunately, "Athletics" wil gain zero traction in a crucial market: the U.S.
    Not sure whe gaining traction with the general US public would be important here. This is a trade union, not a brand that's going to be associated with a product in the media.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Not sure whe gaining traction with the general US public would be important here. This is a trade union, not a brand that's going to be associated with a product in the media.
    it's not traction with the public I'm worried about so much as I am the U.S. media, which barely recognizes track & field, will shunt "athletics" even farther into the background. If that's possible.

9. Collapse Details

As I may have said elsewhere, the problem with "athletics" is not just that it doesn't mean track and field in the U.S. It's that it means something else entirely. It means sports--all sports. And I don't see that changing, ever.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    As I may have said elsewhere, the problem with "athletics" is not just that it doesn't mean track and field in the U.S. It's that it means something else entirely. It means sports--all sports. And I don't see that changing, ever.
    And all you need to do is look at the medal counts in Global Champs to see that we remain the elephant in the room. Ya better consider it when cleaning the room.