Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Note as well that eliminating the discus throw means that there's no need for a cage on the infield, thus getting rid of something that can some block camera views. (There's no hammer in the DL either.) And getting rid of the steeple eliminates another bit of moving hurdles.

2. Collapse Details

How do they even measure the rating of field events? TV only shows bits and pieces of field performances here and there, in between the track events. So if the long jump spans across three four track events, they will get ratings from viewers who want to watch the four track events.

3. Collapse Details

In Tokyo when
    Lyles does the 100/200 double
    Norman/SMU does the 200/400 double
    DAS/Schippers becomes the first Brtish woman/Dutch woman since FBK to win the 200
    ET retains her 200 title
    Taylor/Rojas breaks the TJ WR
    Stahl breaks the DT WR
    Etc etc

I hope they do not turn up to the post competition press conference or if they do, they slate the IAAF completely. Afterall, no one gives a toss about their event anyway, right?

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    "T&F . . . the IAAF, oh, sorry, the WTF, needs to cater to the core-fans. Everyone else will find something interesting. We live in the DVR age, where few watch things live any more, so you have to please the people that brung ya. "

Remember this is really about Europe where there are very few hard core fans anymore.....there is no high school or college track in Europe and a dwindling number of home grown talent anymore on the international level.... it's all soccer that goes from August to May once or twice a week and then the Euros or WC every other year....

5. Collapse Details

If TV is the issue then why not just fit all the field events into same timeframe as the 5000m or the steeplechase?

Show the first lap of the 5000m, then cut to the Long jump and the Shot put. Then cut back to the last two laps of the 5000m. This formula has been used in the past.

I would think that most track fans would rather watch the 5000m race because the outcome of the races will determine who is likely to win an Olympic medal, instead of watching the 3000m flat, which is of no relevance to the Olympics.

6. Collapse Details

Imagine breaking the steeple WR, moving to #2 or #3 all time in the triple jump, #4 all time in the discus, or breaking multiple Usain Bolt meet records, then being told by the governing body that your event isn't worth keeping in thier premier series.

In the next 2-3 Olympics cycles, they will probably only have the 100m, Long Jump and Shot Put on the program.

7. Collapse Details

What's interesting is that the shot put is the best throwing event to watch on television but often the worst to watch in the stadium, unless you're sitting really close to the area. The long throws are spectacular in the stadium, from almost any seat, but on tv, the path of the implement is hard to follow. The motions of the throwers in the circle or on the runway are also more complex and interesting to watch than those in the shot.

I spend a lot more days and hours watching track in person than on tv, so I really prefer watching the other throwing events. But if the entire event is seen as a 90-minute tv show, I can fully understand what they're doing.

PS - I should add that I did have a pretty good view of the men's SP in Doha, and of course thought it was one of the best field events I've ever seen.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mungo man View Post
    If TV is the issue then why not just fit all the field events into same timeframe as the 5000m or the steeplechase?

Show the first lap of the 5000m, then cut to the Long jump and the Shot put. Then cut back to the last two laps of the 5000m. This formula has been used in the past.

I would think that most track fans would rather watch the 5000m race because the outcome of the races will determine who is likely to win an Olympic medal, instead of watching the 3000m flat, which is of no relevance to the Olympics.
    Most of the folks who go to these DL meets couldn't care less who is likely to win a gold medal in the 5...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Most of the folks who go to these DL meets couldn't care less who is likely to win a gold medal in the 5...
    So they would rather watch the 3000 flat?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mungo man View Post
    So they would rather watch the 3000 flat?
    If more Europeans run yes...if not it too may disappear....

The DL downsizing reminds me of the problem with Sears...once huge and lost market and tried to downsize....And it still isn't working...it wouldn't surprise me if the DL meets in Europe just disappear in the not so distant future....it all has a desperation feel to it...

Also with all the bad press Nike is getting lately especially with the Cain story today you wonder why they just don't pack in the whole track sponsorship..they have to be thinking who needs it.....And then the sport is really dead on the professional level...