Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    facing the flag [split]
    Is Hendricks active in the Army or reserve? What are his commitments to Uncle Sam? Also, do he and Chelimo have the same arrangement?

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Is Hendricks active in the Army or reserve? What are his commitments to Uncle Sam? Also, do he and Chelimo have the same arrangement?
    Sam is reserve. I don't know his exact commitments, but he has been very happy with the arrangement any time I have asked him.

I believe Chelimo is part of the WCAP program.

Sam is not. He looked into it and it didn't make sense for his situation.

I have no idea about contractual obligations and such, but Sam is definitely in the reserves because he loves the Army and loves this country, not out of necessity.

Between when he started college to now, I'm guessing he had opportunities to leave the program but chose to stay in.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    Sam is reserve. I don't know his exact commitments, but he has been very happy with the arrangement any time I have asked him.
    So now I'm wondering how he gets his one-weekend-a-month requirement in; he seems to compete all the time!

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So now I'm wondering how he gets his one-weekend-a-month requirement in; he seems to compete all the time!
    I believe they have a more flexible arrangement worked out, I don't think he has to fly back from Europe for that weekend or anything like that.

Remember a few years ago Sam had no formal fall training, he spent the entire fall with his... troop? (I don't know Army lingo) He had only jumped a handful of times before Indoor USAs, won that, and went on to win every meet that year.

Whatever he has worked out with the Army, it is a good deal for them, he represents them very well.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    I believe they have a more flexible arrangement worked out. . . . Whatever he has worked out with the Army, it is a good deal for them, he represents them very well.
    That's the bottom line. He is not a 'normal' reservist, so I'm sure he's got a very 'flexible' (wink, wink) service schedule. He owes the USAR 38 days a year, and it may all come when the season is over and may include training for the PV.
    As you say, the Army is getting a good deal also, esp. when he stopped his approach to salute during the Nat'l Anthem this year!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    the Army is getting a good deal also, esp. when he stopped his approach to salute during the Nat'l Anthem this year!
    Wouldn't that be expected for an athlete who wasn't in the Army?

7. Collapse Details

Here's what the law says:

>>(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
    (1)when the flag is displayed—
    (A)individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
    (B)members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
    (C)all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
    (2)when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.<<

Title 36, U.S. Code, Section 301

8. Collapse Details

I don't think that it would be "expected" that anyone would stop in the middle of an approach run because the anthem unexpectedly began to play. That was impressive and humbling.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart
    That's just a little too much stick and rudder, as we used to say in Naval Aviation. Removing one's hat and being respectful is all that's required in 2019.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I don't think that it would be "expected" that anyone would stop in the middle of an approach run because the anthem unexpectedly began to play. That was impressive and humbling.
    Field events should normally be stopped during the playing of the national anthem in a medal ceremony. What I would expect is that the chief official of the event would anticipate the anthem and put a cone on the runway when the gold medal is presented. If that had happened, Kendricks would not have been in the middle of his approach when the anthem started.