Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    That's just a little too much stick and rudder, as we used to say in Naval Aviation. Removing one's hat and being respectful is all that's required in 2019.
    Tell that to your Congressman (or woman). I was just quoting the law as it is currently written.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Field events should normally be stopped during the playing of the national anthem in a medal ceremony. What I would expect is that the chief official of the event would anticipate the anthem and put a cone on the runway when the gold medal is presented. If that had happened, Kendricks would not have been in the middle of his approach when the anthem started.
    I would expect that too. Given that it didn't happen, it makes Kendricks actions that much more impressive.

3. Collapse Details

Tell that to your Congressman (or woman). I was just quoting the law as it is currently written.
    Not touching that with a 10-foot flagpole!
    Some people are fixated on rote patriotic responses.
    Sam gets it or he wouldn't be in the Reserve.

4. Collapse Details

As cited by tandfman, I have always known that it is appropriate for military veterans, as well as active duty, to render hand salute during playing of national anthem.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    As cited by tandfman, I have always known that it is appropriate for military veterans, as well as active duty, to render hand salute during playing of national anthem.
    Active duty in uniform MUST salute, off-duty active and any retired MAY salute. I prefer parade rest. Hand over the heart (for me) seems too . . . rote. Sam's gesture was pure and genuine.

6. Collapse Details

Facing the flag, by the way, is not always simple. In Doha, all of the flags used in the medal ceremonies were digital. There were the three flags displayed above the medalists on the platform used for the ceremony. But the video board at the opposite end of the stadium displayed just the flag of the winner(s) whose anthem was being played and nothing else. So which way does one face? I think I started out facing the flag at the opposite end, but then switched to the flag above the podium because it was then possible to see the usual video of the medalists, and especially the gold medalist, on the video board near the ceremony area. The people sitting nearby seemed divided--some facing one way and some the other. This never happened in the old days, when there were actual flags hoisted on actual flagpoles for the ceremonies.

7. Collapse Details

Facing the flag, by the way, is not always simple. In Doha, all of the flags used in the medal ceremonies were digital.
    I guess this slippery slope leads to venues asking you to listen to the anthem on your cerebral implant. Then everyone will have to get very introspective to face the flag!

8. Collapse Details
    facing the flag [split]
    Administrator
    split off from a PV thread in Current Events

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Active duty in uniform MUST salute, off-duty active and any retired MAY salute. I prefer parade rest. Hand over the heart (for me) seems too . . . rote. Sam's gesture was pure and genuine.
    I was taught that you only salute with your military hat on.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    I was taught that you only salute with your military hat on.
    We were told that any military, in uniform or not, may salute.