Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Back in the 70s there was a lot of grumbling about foreign athletes in the NCAA, particularly when the number of scholarships were reduced significantly and recruiting foreign athletes was seen as negatively impacting the development of US athletes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-130a21243ba6/

2. Collapse Details

The situation in the 70's included runners a good decade older than most collegians at the time. I was a huge fan of the WKU Brits (Nick Rose, Tony Staynings, Swag Hartel). With the age issue aside, I think the international flavor will only help to keep our stable of home grown collegians better prepared for the next level.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Nick Rose was only 22 when he won the 1974 NCAA cross country championships....

4. Collapse Details

Staynings was 23 when he last appeared in NCAA XC results (fall 1976).

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Suleiman Nyambui was only 5 years older than Salazar....And Henry Rono was only 6 years older....

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    The situation in the 70's included runners a good decade older than most collegians at the time. I was a huge fan of the WKU Brits (Nick Rose, Tony Staynings, Swag Hartel). With the age issue aside, I think the international flavor will only help to keep our stable of home grown collegians better prepared for the next level.
    As an aside, Swag Hartel has 2 running shoe shops in Louisville. I was aware of this because he knows an athlete my mother used to coach. I grew up in the same town as him (a few years later).

7. Collapse Details

I realized that the Brits were more along the same age, as I got to meet them at local races and once at the Mason-Dixon Games.

I made a pilgrimage to Swag's first shop while still in Grad school after meeting him at a race in Lexington. After just introducing ourselves and congratulating him on a good race (several minutes ahead of my own.....), he invited me and my friends to warm down with him. It was so refreshing to have an athlete of that caliber show such a down to earth side. But that was the case with all of those Hilltopper Brits. A great group of guys.