Facts, Not Fiction

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Oh dear....that is right....King Edward VII....

Anyways it originally was supposed to be 40 kilometers....the Royals are still to blame....off with their head ....

And the course was short to boot....

"According to the book The Marathon Makers by John Bryant, the first mile of the 1908 Olympic Marathon course was remeasured by John Disley in the late 1990s and was found to be 174 yards (159 m) short."
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-19-2019 at 07:14 PM.

2. Collapse Details

And climbing boots....cheating to climb Everest!....where is the outrage! Hillary never had these boots...

"With a carbon fiber and expanded PU foam core insole, these bad boys are stiff too, preventing flex and saving you strength during non-stop front pointing. The carbon fiber achieves maximum stiffness while keeping the weight to a minimum.

The Acrux is the boot for higher altitude, high-end technical ice and mixed climbing or for climbing in those god-forsaken, sun-never-rises frozen landscapes. Or if you just get cold feet easily."
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-19-2019 at 08:09 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this issue .... here's mine. Kipchoge is a basic 2:03 marathoner. Nothing he has done since he broke 2:04 (2:03.05, London Marathon, April/2016) indicates that he is any better of an athlete now, than he was then. Actually, the original VaporFly came out sometime in 2016, so perhaps he was wearing a prototype of that shoe, when he knocked 55 seconds off his time in London/2016 to break 2:04 for the first time ... I'm not sure about that. Now, that's already a brilliant performance, no doubt about that, and Kipchoge is also a brilliant "big-Meet" performer, the best ever I think. However, from everything I have read (and it's been a lot), from people who know a lot more about the subject than I do, there's at least a couple of minutes of benefits from the shoes, and another couple of minutes of benefits from all the other "artificial" performance enhancers. And, to quote Shania Twain , "That don't impress me much". I want to see athletes improve as a result of their own hard and smart training, and not because they can shave 4-5 minutes off their Marathon time with "extras" that have absolutely nothing to do with being a better athlete. Maybe we need a separate category, something like Extreme Marathon, where absolutely everything goes. Shoes, pacers, downhill, drugs, point-to-point with tailwind, etc. I'm being a bit facetious, of course, but it sounds like this would work for some ... not me !

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    a couple?! It had 68 of them!

(and the IAAF's ban was a dumb move)
    Wasn't there some rationale for it, like the shoes did too much damage to the tracks, or something like that?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

Golf shoes! Oakley Carbon Pro 2 Golf Shoes....oh the humanity...

http://www.golfwrx.com/217457/review...-2-golf-shoes/

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Wasn't there some rationale for it, like the shoes did too much damage to the tracks, or something like that?
    Yeah that was story at the time....but it seems more that Adidas was unhappy that the Puma shoe was getting the fast times....

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rsb3 View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this issue .... here's mine. Kipchoge is a basic 2:03 marathoner. Nothing he has done since he broke 2:04 (2:03.05, London Marathon, April/2016) indicates that he is any better of an athlete now, than he was then. Actually, the original VaporFly came out sometime in 2016, so perhaps he was wearing a prototype of that shoe, when he knocked 55 seconds off his time in London/2016 to break 2:04 for the first time ... I'm not sure about that. Now, that's already a brilliant performance, no doubt about that, and Kipchoge is also a brilliant "big-Meet" performer, the best ever I think. However, from everything I have read (and it's been a lot), from people who know a lot more about the subject than I do, there's at least a couple of minutes of benefits from the shoes, and another couple of minutes of benefits from all the other "artificial" performance enhancers. And, to quote Shania Twain , "That don't impress me much". I want to see athletes improve as a result of their own hard and smart training, and not because they can shave 4-5 minutes off their Marathon time with "extras" that have absolutely nothing to do with being a better athlete. Maybe we need a separate category, something like Extreme Marathon, where absolutely everything goes. Shoes, pacers, downhill, drugs, point-to-point with tailwind, etc. I'm being a bit facetious, of course, but it sounds like this would work for some ... not me !

Everyone should run barefoot....a true test...

Or only Tiger Marathons....when men were men....and women weren't allowed to run....
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-19-2019 at 08:35 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Yeah that was story at the time....but it seems more that Adidas was unhappy that the Puma shoe was getting the fast times....
    no, that's revisionist history, at least as it applies to '68 Olympics. IAAF General Secretary Donald Pain issued a pre-Mexico statement saying, "The new shoes cannot be allowed at the Olympics because no change in our technical rules can be made for the 12 months leading up to the Games."

this was the same dodge that Adriaan Paulen used 4 years later on Bob Seagren's poles in Munich.

adidas had its own brush spike (with 42 elements) in play before Mexico.
    Last edited by gh; 10-19-2019 at 11:06 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post

Nike had its own brush spike (with 42 elements) in play before Mexico.
    Do you mean adidas had their own brush spike ...?

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    d'oh!