Facts, Not Fiction

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    The x-ray, however, would have to be on-site.
    No big deal. There are portable X-ray machines, and mobile clinics with X-ray machines installed in vans.

2. Collapse Details

OK, then it may be feasible. There's still the challenge of defining the illegality in a way that the x-ray would detect it.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    You guys obviously didn't read our overview, which includes this, which doesn't require any tearing down of any shoe

<<...The authors maintain that it would be a practical impossibility for the IAAF to regulate the materials inside a midsole, but there is ample precedent to regulate the shoe’s thickness (such as the IAAF already does with high jump and long jump spikes). They propose a 31mm limit, which is what Nike’s early Vaporflys—the prototypes in use at the ’16 Olympics—were measured at. Recent retail models have been measured at 36–37mm. The hoped-for result is that while improvements in engineering may bring more effectiveness to the midsole, a limit on thickness would in effect freeze the arms race at its current state....>>

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by measurer View Post
    It would be virtual impossible to do this in the road racing environment especially in mass races with age group awards. We would need to something along the lines of the head phone ban. You might be able to do this with a handful of elite runners but it would be challenging.
    You don't have to check everybody's shoes, just the athletes who are elite enough to be in WADA's drug testing program. Or maybe you could wait until after the race and check the shoes of the top 3.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    You guys obviously didn't read our overview, which includes this, which doesn't require any tearing down of any shoe
    Mea culpa. I did read it, but I've been reading so much stuff online about the race and the shoes that I'd forgotten that part. Yes, a simple thickness test would be easy to administer. I suppose Nike would say that this would limit the development of shoes that enable runners to run faster and more comfortably. But one of the other items I read was the article linked on the home page, and cited in your post #94 above, that quoted Ryan Hall, who said that "when a shoe company puts multiple carbon fibre plates in a shoe with cushion between the plates it is no longer a shoe . . ." I think I'm with Hall, rather than Nike, on this point.

6. Collapse Details

I guess race officials would only need a caliper to check shoes, not an x-ray machine.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    the full bona fides of the guy quoted there are tough to match in this field, by the way:

<<Geoff is in his third year as a Kinesiology Ph.D. student in the Michigan Performance Research Lab, working under the eye of Dr. Ron Zernicke. His work explores running biomechanics and their patterns in high-performing individuals. Before beginning this work, he received degrees in biomedical engineering here at the University of Michigan and subsequently worked in a variety of engineering roles in the automotive, medical device, and orthopedic research fields. Outside the lab, he also trains and competes as a professional ultramarathon runner and has represented the United States at world championships over the 50km and 100km distances.>>

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    "when a shoe company puts multiple carbon fibre plates in a shoe with cushion between the plates it is no longer a shoe . . ."
    I understand his point, but . . . of course it's still just a shoe. There's an ergonomic limit to how much 'platform' a shoe can have before it's counter-productive. 37mm is an inch and a half, which would seem to verge on precarious, but we'll see. If we get to 2", yeah, we've probably got a problem.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Exactly....it's just a shoe....unless it has wheels on it I couldn't care less....and what is so awful about carbon fiber....I have a pair of the training shoe the Zoom Fly...it has a carbon plate...feels great...

I know a few runners who can run only because of the thickness of the Hoka shoes....

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    Itís just a bloody shoe, for Godís sake. It doesnít have a motor in it.
    Ageed...
    I remember reading how John Carlos lost a WR due to a couple of spikes on his shoes.