Facts, Not Fiction

 

Thread: Tokyo Olympics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. Collapse Details
    Tokyo Olympics
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,715
    Meanwhile....in FT today...

    Japan fears Seoul will drag Olympics into wartime dispute....

    Japanese officials worry that South Korea is targeting next year’s Tokyo Olympics as a new front in the bitter bilateral dispute between the two countries over wartime forced labour.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Not sure what that means for Japan and/or the Olympics?
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Former Resident Geek
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    2,302
    Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Not sure what that means for Japan and/or the Olympics?
    It will bring more bring global attention to the dispute. I'm not sure there is any tangible effect.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Japan has hosted 2 Olympics since the Korean War ended. Why now and why did South Korea co-host the 2002 World Cup with Japan if this is still such a contentious issue?
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Japan has hosted 2 Olympics since the Korean War ended. Why now and why did South Korea co-host the 2002 World Cup with Japan if this is still such a contentious issue?
    Japan has actually hosted 3 Olympics since the Korean War ended--Tokyo '64 and two Winter Games (Sapporo '72 and Nagano '98). In any event, the end of the Korean War in 1953 is not relevant. The key date was 1945, when the Japanese occupation of Korea ended at the end of WW II.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Japan has actually hosted 3 Olympics since the Korean War ended--Tokyo '64 and two Winter Games (Sapporo '72 and Nagano '98). In any event, the end of the Korean War in 1953 is not relevant. The key date was 1945, when the Japanese occupation of Korea ended at the end of WW II.
    Doh! Of course, Japan itself was under occupation during the Korean War. We're talking 3 Olympics and 74 years, not 2 Olympics and 66 years. Thanks for the corrections.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,715
    "Tensions between Japan and South Korea flared last November when the South Korean supreme court awarded damages against Japanese companies for forced labour during the second world war. Japan says compensation was already paid in a 1965 treaty and has sought international arbitration. South Korea says the 1965 treaty does not block individual claims and declines to appoint arbitrators."
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    north coast USA
    Posts
    3,812
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    If there's another heat wave like this year the events in the stadium in Tokyo are gonna be brutal.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Note that the last time Tokyo hosted the Olympics they were held in the middle of October.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •