Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Nike wins ... fastest non-vaporfly (or whatever next gen of that) finishers were, I think, Emma Bates (ASICS) and Parker Stinson (Saucony?).

2. Collapse Details

This brings the ratio between mens' and womens' WRs (legit races), at 10.20% slower, to the second lowest among all events. The 100, at 9.5%, is the lowest, assuming we accept Flojo's 10.49. Without it, the marathon tops the list, followed by the 400 at 10.62%.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    This brings the ratio between mens' and womens' WRs (legit races), at 10.20% slower, to the second lowest among all events. The 100, at 9.5%, is the lowest, assuming we accept Flojo's 10.49. Without it, the marathon tops the list, followed by the 400 at 10.62%.
    Interesting and unsurprising, given the thinking surrounding the 10.49 and the suspicion some people have regarding the wind having helped the 47.60 as well. The ratio should be lower the longer the distance.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    The ratio should be lower the longer the distance.
    Pourquoi?

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Interesting and unsurprising, given the thinking surrounding the 10.49 and the suspicion some people have regarding the wind having helped the 47.60 as well. The ratio should be lower the longer the distance.
    Suspicions of wind in a 400?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Suspicions of wind in a 400?
    A counterclockwise swirling wind caused by a stadium's bowl shape, so it helps the runners at all parts of the track. Nobody's ever taken wind measurements at both curves and both straights to check if can happen; it's just assumed that it doesn't happen.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    A counterclockwise swirling wind caused by a stadium's bowl shape, so it helps the runners at all parts of the track. Nobody's ever taken wind measurements at both curves and both straights to check if can happen; it's just assumed that it doesn't happen.
    I know from experience that it can happen. In the '60s, training at Washington State's horseshoe stadium we'd run 100y repeats on the infield. Run up one side, walk across the end zone and run down the other side. We'd debate whether we wanted "easy" or hard" because the wind, which could be stiff, typically came in so that it aided streightaway races, but then swirled around and also aided going down the trackstretch. So depending on which side you chose you had wind at your back both ways or wind in your face both ways.

I'm sure you guess which option we (the TJ squad) usually chose!

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Yes I understand that but going after one particular race seems a bit dodgy...

FWIW Tinker Hatfield did a lot of wind analysis on the Hayward Field...old and new...he mentioned in a talk last year it could be a problem in the new Hayward Field ..

9. Collapse Details

I was not surprised that Rupp had a calf strain. All the cross training could keep your cardiovascular fitness, but they cannot prepare your legs for a marathon.

I was surprised at Hasay's hamstring problem. I thought she was in good shape going into the race.

And still no word on what went wrong with Mo.

10. Collapse Details

There is a stadium in Fort Worth that, depending wind direction, you can have a head wind or tail wind all the way around