Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Whj wr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    In these situations, what do you do if the bar falls 5 seconds after a brush clearance, blame it on the wind or the vaulter?
    That's happened to me more times than I can remember in the last 30 years, which is why I always have some painters tape tied to the standards, so I can see what the wind is doing right there. If it's streaming towards the back of the pit, it's a make, otherwise I've usually called it a miss.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Call me one of those who thinks that records need to be held to higher standards, and tis was perhaps not 1000% by the book, but based on that fuzzy video (and having been there to see it in person at the time), I've no particular problem with how it was handled. (absoutely no pun intended)

3. Collapse Details

To me it does seem like unseemly haste to steady the bar when there is no other jumper waiting their attempt. I presume at some stage the height would be re-measured but by the time the officials are in position to do that the bar would likely have stopped moving on its own.

For what it's worth my guess is that it would have probably stayed on if left untouched but we've all seen bars drop that we thought would stay on while others have stayed on that looked certain to drop.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    remeasuring ceased to be a requirement quite a few years ago, although I can't swear that that was the rule in '87

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    remeasuring ceased to be a requirement quite a few years ago, although I can't swear that that was the rule in '87
    1987 was the last year that remeasuring was required. The 1988 rules eliminated that requirement.

6. Collapse Details

I remember an instance from the 1970s when remeasuring actually affected a record, when the Finnish NR in pole vault was measured to be 1 cm *higher* than thought.

(This was Kalliomäki's 547, which I think was also a world leader in that year, 1973.)
    Last edited by Olli; 10-12-2019 at 01:16 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    1987 was the last year that remeasuring was required. The 1988 rules eliminated that requirement.
    Wasn't there a Soviet vaulter who missed out on a WR because the bar fell off while it was being re-measured? Polyakov in 1981?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    I remember an instance from the 1970s when remeasuring actually affected a record, when the Finnish NR in pole vault was measured to be 1 cm *higher* than thought.

(This was Kalliomäki's 547, which I think was also a world leader in that year, 1973.)
    I think this was not uncommon when remeasuring throws records with steel tapes due to the original measure being made with a plastic tape that might stretch a little.

9. Collapse Details

If you stretch a tape measure( steel or cloth) 300 feet, with undulations in surface and variable tension and alignment, it will be a coincidence if you get the same reading twice.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Wasn't there a Soviet vaulter who missed out on a WR because the bar fell off while it was being re-measured? Polyakov in 1981?
    happened to Mike Tully in '78 (and his bar didn't fall off, was knocked off by the judges!)