Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Whj wr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Whj wr
    This is historical, but I can't post there. I recently was in Stefka Kostadinova's hometown of Plovdiv, Bulgaria. I just found this video of her WR. She brushes the bar, and it is shaking after the clearance--and two officials stabilize it before it has come to rest! Was/is that legal? How many jumps have I seen where the bar is brushed--and then falls seconds after the apparent clearance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDlHrfbe5g

2. Collapse Details

Interesting.
    Tough call from the video evidence.
    Was the bar wobbling and nearing displacement or not?
    Once the head official rules a clearance the bar can be stabilized.
    But in the circumstance of a WR where there is an apparent clearance there is no need at all for officials to rush to stabilize the cross-bar.

3. Collapse Details

I have officiated in many repeat many HJ's, and have stabilized many a quivering bar after proclaiming "it's good ! " but only after being 100 % sure the quiver is abating. Having said that I agree with the prior poster, that under WR circumstances... why not wait a bit.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    That is weird ...the official pops up immediately to grab the bar....remember this was Rome where lots of shenanigans were carried out....

5. Collapse Details

There is some breeze showing in the flags high above but it could not have more than a light breeze at the HJ pit. There clearly is no reason to be at the bar within 3-4 seconds. I do almost only the PV, but if it moving like this I would have held my hand up to make sure that the pit crew did not touch a thing. In the case of a WR, it is an unforgivable action.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    it is an unforgivable action.
    I'll wager it was done by sheer force of habit. When you're trying to keep the jumping going, it's a natural reaction to stop the bar (after assuring yourself it wouldn't come down), so even though there was no next jumper, they did it.

I did have a situation where I didn't still it and the jumper was off the mat when the bar finally did fall and holy hell ensued from the coach when I called it a miss. He claimed the wind knocked it off because I was so slow to indicate a make. Danged if ya do and danged if ya don't.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Yeah that might make sense ....but considering the nonsense the officials pulled in that meet I doubt it.

8. Collapse Details

To add to my prior comment as a HJ official, my main message to my Bar Helpers is NEVER touch the bar until I say " It's Good."

9. Collapse Details

dukehjsteve, as usual is exactly right.
    And the head official is the final arbiter.
    As per rule, there is this discretionary power:
    When it is clear that the bar has been displaced by a force not
    associated with an athlete (e.g. a gust of wind)
    (a) if such displacement occurs after an athlete has cleared the bar
    without touching it, then the trial shall be considered successful,
    or
    (b) if such displacement occurs under any other circumstance, a
    new trial shall be awarded.
    The key phrase here is "without touching it". But in this case, the athlete apparently brushed the bar to set it in motion, so (to me) the implication is that the bar should have been left alone until it stopped moving before clearance. I can't see any reason on a WR attempt for the official to declare a fair jump before the bar settles itself.
    May seem minor to be so nit-picky about the cross-bar, but 50-plus years ago Ed Caruthers national JC record was never ratified because the cross-bar was too long (may have been a pole vault cross-bar) even though the height was verified.

10. Collapse Details

Thanks for sharing. Whenever I look at the all-time list in the future, I'll definitely have this video in the back of my mind.

Having said this, I've witnessed pole vault competitions at the Texas Relays in which the wind was blowing so hard that the officials had to hold it on the pegs until the vaulter was halfway down the runway to keep it from blowing off. In these situations, what do you do if the bar falls 5 seconds after a brush clearance, blame it on the wind or the vaulter?