Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I don't know if it's legal in an IAAF-sanctioned race, but just having the pace car to keep him at an even pace, without the normal speed fluctuations of racing, undoubtably benefited Kipchoge, because running 1 mile 10 seconds too fast in the middle of the race will cost you more than 10 seconds in the rest of the race.

Also, I read that Kipchoge's team of rabbits reduced the air resistance that he had to overcome by 85%. Given the fact that
    at 13 mph, runners use 8% of their energy fighting air resistance, it means that Kipchoge only used 1% of his energy fighting the wind. By comparison, a runner following 2 meters behind a rabbit at those speeds has his wind drag reduced by 50% (4% of total workload).
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 10-16-2019 at 02:41 PM.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Since Kipchoge averaged 4:34 this is relevant....

"Athough over-ground running creates air resistance, such resistance brings an added aerobic demand only at velocities considerably faster than those routinely used in our evaluations. According to the studies of Pugh (1970), the effect of air resistance starts to increase O2 consumption measurably only at faster paces. As an example, at a pace of 4:35 min/mile (13 mi/hr; 350 m/min), the additional aerobic demand is 5.7 ml/kg/min. Indeed, this added energy demand to a front-runner in a fast-paced race is used to advantage as a tactical maneuver by runners who remain in that runner’s wind shadow.”

“Better Training for Long Distance Runners” by Dr. David Martin, physiologist, and Peter Coe, engineer and father and coach of Sebastion Coe....

3. Collapse Details

More from Pugh:

By running slightly to the side of the lead runner, the following runner would probably benefit by about 1 second per lap.

“Another researcher to study the benefits of drafting was Californian Chester R. Kyle (1979). His calculations suggest that at world-record mile pace, a runner running 2 m behind the lead runner would save about 1.66 seconds per lap, which generally confirms Pugh’s estimations.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    That was what I thought about the 42 meters...you want some extra if someone else comes along and measures....nothing worse than measuring a course and someone else comes along and finds it 2 meters short...

Anyways I'm still curious about the roundabouts....the straight was no problem...but going too wide, say 1 meter, on each one would be somewhere around 5 meters on each roundabout... and no cones? I'm not aware of any major course doing only a painted line...I can see why they didn't have cones because they would interfere with the pacing arrangement...
    The extra meter would yield Pi x 1 meter, or 3.14 meters; where do you get 5 meters from. Furthermore, I suspect that EK was a bit toward the inside on the curve, at least a bit. I would say it adds 5 m per lap. However, real marathons cannot run the minimum distance as the runner has to get over to the aid station and back; in a pack it is worse. There were also many 90 degree corners in Chicago, which makes it slower than a roundabout. I think the 1:59:40 is not much better than the 2:01:39, meaning Bekele could also probably do it. Of course, EK could have run 1:59-low if he had pushed the pace a bit more and not just in the last 300 meters.

5. Collapse Details

I'm sure Kipchoge was told to just run a little under 2:00, to keep the "drama" factor high. He obviously had a lot left at the end.

6. Collapse Details

With all the bells and whistles, a 1:58. something wouldn't surprise me. Of course, a few of those minutes are just from the shoes, sadly.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    I'm sure Kipchoge was told to just run a little under 2:00, to keep the "drama" factor high. He obviously had a lot left at the end.
    It would have been foolish for him to run faster than 2:00 pace and risk blowing up before the finish, especially considering what happened last time.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    It would have been foolish for him to run faster than 2:00 pace and risk blowing up before the finish, especially considering what happened last time.

People are making too many assumptions, again, just like the other threads about SMU's 400...

I think Jazzy touched on this; if Kipchoge would have strayed from the plan even a little; to the tune of 8-10 seconds during any 2-3 KM stretch...it could have ruined everything. He ran that beautifully. I think his late "sprint" was pure adrenaline/joy and can't always be counted on and/or factored in to his potential.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

9. Collapse Details

Of course, Kipchoge ran smart, keeping at and just under 2 hour pace. However: 1) Doing the math on all the benefits of the various "enhancements" he was taking advantage of, and 2) Reviewing his splits towards the end, and watching him nearing the finish, and immediately after the finish ... running around as if he hadn't just run 42.2 k. faster than anyone in history. Well, you have to conclude he had at least another minute, or more, in the tank. Which, to me and many others, is both amazing and ridiculous at the same time

10. Collapse Details

Trevor Noah of Comedy Central comments on Kipchoge's feat in the first two minutes of this clip:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/mjriar...ves-of-farmers