Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

I heard the commentators mention early that the two in the back also had something to do with aerodynamics - they were helping with the wash created by the front of the pack...so whoever mentioned the "bubble" that's about right.
    that was me... in googling about, "flow separation" may be the phenomenon I was suggesting. See image top right for what my guess is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_separation

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Wow! This was absolutely riveting to me! I LOVED how metronomic it was. That was part of the excitement; seeing how each KM played out. And I thought the commentators did a great job. I loved how they interviewed the pacers (WHAT AN ALL-STAR lineup of pacers...and Eliud's wife...she's gorgeous!).

I was pumped the whole time and emotional at the end. This was amazing. No matter what, he did it...and he had something left it looked like. Good for him.

I heard the commentators mention early that the two in the back also had something to do with aerodynamics - they were helping with the wash created by the front of the pack...so whoever mentioned the "bubble" that's about right.
    Exactly how I experienced it. Scratching my head at the haters here.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    So now, a 40-year-old (Eamonn Coghlan, 41 in 1994) broke 4 minutes for a mile (3:58.15); a 40-year-old (Kim Collins) broke 10.00 for the 100 (9.93 in 2016) and a man broke 2 hours for a marathon, even if officially it would be a training run.

What is there left? Will I live long enough to see a woman go under 4 minutes for a mile? That would require the 1,500 WR to drop by another 8 seconds.
    The sub 1:40 800 is one that comes to mind. However, as 38 years after Coe's 1:41.73 we are 'only' at 1:40.92 it may be some time yet.

4. Collapse Details

Even if security wasn't the explicit intention of having the two trailing runners, their presence did significantly cut off the available angles of attack for any wacko who might want to tackle Kipchoge.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Could this be repeated in a legitimate competition?
    A phalanx of pacers from the start would be fine...

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    that was me... in googling about, "flow separation" may be the phenomenon I was suggesting. See image top right for what my guess is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_separation
    That looks right...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    The sub 1:40 800 is one that comes to mind. However, as 38 years after Coe's 1:41.73 we are 'only' at 1:40.92 it may be some time yet.
    D'OH!!! I forgot about that one. Michael Johnson was my prime candidate for sub-1:40. He should have tried the 800 a few times on his way to retirement.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    I think this is correct. I think I remember in one the Ineos documentaries, or on the broadcast, it was noted noted that it creates sort of like a bubble for Kipchoge where he is essentially not affected by any sort of wind at all with that formation.
    Go watch a little NASCAR - it does help the airflow and reduce resistance.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    A phalanx of pacers from the start would be fine...
    And he goes with them, all the way to 15K, and then 2 or 3 bold enough to push the pace will start the breakaway and he goes with those people. Then another breakaway at the 25K point, and he goes with that runner; and the sooner he spots the runner breaking down, he goes it alone. If he passes 30K in 1:25:19, or even comes within 20 second of it, he'll have a legit 2-hour marathon. Even more so if he is being challenged by anyone else who has broken 2:03:00, especially Bekele.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    That looks right...
    My only criticism to this (and even that is negated by the very fact that it won't count as a WR) is that in a 'real' performance barrier-breaking event, he would have to contend with normal air resistance for much of the latter part of the race (when fatigue is beginning to sink in). The fact that he never had to contend with a very real hindrance somewhat tempers my enjoyment, though I am absolutely super-impressed by his feat. No one else on the planet could have done it, altho K Bek might have had a shot under these conditions.
    This effort will be more remembered than when it happens in a real Marathon, which I do hope happens soon.
    Last edited by Atticus; 10-12-2019 at 05:22 PM.