Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    If Kipchoge is the marathon equivalent of Edmund Hillary, the first sub-2:00 marathoner in an IAAF-sanctioned race will be the equivalent of Reinhold Messner, the first man to climb Everest without oxygen. In the last 24 hours, Kipchoge has gotten a lot of press in the mainstream media, that I suspect will be lacking for the first man to run a legal sub-2:00 marathon. After all, Hillary is much more famous than Messner, who is a footnote in history.
    Agree 100%. For the general public, 2 hours has been broken. When it really happens, no big deal. Part of the reason I wasn't too crazy about this stunt.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Ironically the first shoes Phil Knight sold at Blue Ribbon Sports...
    Are you sure? I recall having a couple pair of all white shoes (no logos) that more closely resembled ballet slippers than running shoes. Sold by some guy out of his van, 1965, Palos Verdes HS, CA.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Certainly could be......I started buying from Uncle Phil in 1969 with Tiger Marathons....$9.99 plus shipping....

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i have a friend (a fan) who shut down all his social media, etc so he could get up and waatch the stream blissfully ignorant of what had happened.... he was blown away at how great it was.
    That's exactly what I did. I needed to sleep, so I insulated myself from all things until I caught it at work the next morning.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by G.Ahearn View Post
    Are you sure? I recall having a couple pair of all white shoes (no logos) that more closely resembled ballet slippers than running shoes. Sold by some guy out of his van, 1965, Palos Verdes HS, CA.
    That was the "Cub" with same sole as the Onitsuka Tiger Marathon pictured above.

6. Collapse Details

IAAF Competition Rules ... " Such shoes (competition), however, must not be constructed so as to give athletes any unfair assistance or advantage. Any type of shoe used must be reasonably available to all, in the spirit of the universality of athletics" ... I know Vienna wasn't run under IAAF rules, I presume Chicago was.

7. Collapse Details

So are these shoes not generally available?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

8. Collapse Details

My impression is that these shoes are generally available, at least to top or better runners. (I am considering all of this family of "Vaporfly" models on Kipchoge's feet Saturday and those of Kosgei and many of the other elites in Chicago; I'm not 100% sure which name goes with which latest model.) Nike athletes aside -- who of course were wearing them -- I read in LetsRun's post-Chicago analysis and interviews that two of the top uncontracted USA runners, Jake Riley and Jerrell Mock, also chose to wear the VaporflyNext%, so they had access to them. They are excellent runners, but also pretty much anonymous in the sport, so they are good representatives of how available such things are, I think. Their comments are interesting:

Riley: “I bought into the hype. I also took a seminar from one of the professors [that] did some of the testing for that shoe at [the University of Colorado] and she said, ‘Yeah, it’s pretty legit as far as the boost it gives you.’ And I tried a pair on and it feels like running on trampolines. The one good thing about being unsponsored is you can go with the best piece of equipment — or the piece of equipment you like from each different place.”

Mock: “Everything I had heard, it seemed like it gave a significant benefit, so I figured why not give myself every advantage I can?” ... “But there’s a lot of companies that are coming out with the same [kind of technology] so I’d be interested to try some of those too.”

Link to full post-event article on the men's Chicago race:

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/10...ght-major-win/

On a related point, here is what Kosgei said about her choice of shoes -- also from LetsRun's post-event analysis:

"Kosgei said she wanted to use the shoes she wore in London this spring (the Vaporfly 4% Flyknit ...) and was only convinced to switch to the pair of ZoomX Vaporfly Next%’s that she wore today after watching the INEOS 1:59 Challenge yesterday. 'My agent told me [I’m] supposed to use the pink one (the Next%), and I refuse ... I was just 50-50 to use the pink one. But something come in my mind, say that yesterday, Kipchoge run and use the same shoes and the other pacemakers [did too]. Why not me?'”

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    Since you are going to 100ths, did you account for the short course prevention factor on the road course that the track does not have?
    Short course prevention factor???

10. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    I watched this yesterday when I was on the trainer. I wasn't very enthusiastic about the "challenge" going in. But I definitely got into it. Three things hooked me - the pacers' enthusiasm, Kipchoge's attitude about barrier breaking, and the crowd.