Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catson52 View Post
    Somewhat biased point of view. Firstly, why mention Hillary repeatedly, yet no Tenzing?
    I don't have a dog in this fight. Yeah, I know Hillary didn't do it alone, but he's far more celebrated than Tenzing, at least in the western mainstream media he is.

Quote Originally Posted by catson52 View Post
    Those who follow mountaineering fairly closely, place people like Messner, and even more so, Kukuczka, in a very special category. The 1953 Everest expedition, was well planned by a large team, with lots of support. No way to be compared to the single man "assaults" of Messner/Kukuczka.
    The fact that you would use the phrase "those who follow mountaineering fairly closely" means you missed the point I was trying to make. Most people don't follow track and field as closely as we do, and most people don't follow mountaineering as closely as you do.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    3:02:21. Finished 2nd in her age group to Ria Van Landeghem (BEL), 3:02:05.
    Ria! Great...I knew her in Boulder in the 80s...nice lady...

3. Collapse Details

Messner also did his thing decades after Hillary when climbing Everest was hardly a big deal anymore....doing it without oxygen was certainly noticed but not surprising it wasn't a big hoopla...

The general public couldn't care less about pacing, shoes, whatever....they just like the result...and besides the pacers, top athletes, were all working for someone else's goal....how often does that happen....I thought it was awesome and so did many non track fans...it was all over Twitter yesterday...

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    i have a friend (a fan) who shut down all his social media, etc so he could get up and waatch the stream blissfully ignorant of what had happened.... he was blown away at how great it was.

5. Collapse Details

On Twitter I follow lots of political writers conservative and liberal...and this video was all over....the joy being expressed here by Kipchoge and his pacers is something and people noticed...

https://mobile.twitter.com/dandrezne...73655577513984

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i have a friend (a fan) who shut down all his social media, etc so he could get up and waatch the stream blissfully ignorant of what had happened.... he was blown away at how great it was.
    I'm often at work during global championships and unable to watch them live, but IMO blissful ignorance is the only way to watch the World Championships and Olympics. Finding out what Matthew Centrowitz (2016), Emma Coburn (2017) or Salwa Eid Naser (2019) did on a results page just isn't the same as watching the race play out in ignorance.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    ... Finding out what Matthew Centrowitz (2016), Emma Coburn (2017) or Salwa Eid Naser (2019) did on a results page just isn't the same as watching the race play out in ignorance.
    all depends on how you're wired... I'm one of those who garners equal/greater.pleasure from reading results than actually watching... i suspect I'm not alone

8. Collapse Details

all depends on how you're wired... I'm one of those who garners equal/greater.pleasure from reading results than actually watching... i suspect I'm not alone
    I'm like that....and others too who follow the sport ...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight. Yeah, I know Hillary didn't do it alone, but he's far more celebrated than Tenzing, at least in the western mainstream media he is.

The fact that you would use the phrase "those who follow mountaineering fairly closely" means you missed the point I was trying to make. Most people don't follow track and field as closely as we do, and most people don't follow mountaineering as closely as you do.
    I was under the impression that someone of "your background" would see that "western mainstream (media)" is by no means the be all and end all. Fact: Hillary had never been in the Himalaya before 1953, meaning no peak higher than perhaps 15,000 feet - just about half Everest's summit. Fact: Tenzing had often been on Everest, and with the Swiss Expedition in 1952, reached within 1000 ft of the summit.

And without being too rude hopefully, I am not interested in "hoi poloi" being all excited about this sub 2 marathon - their flavor of the day/hour. I was under the impression that most people posting on this site, were pretty knowledgeable about TF, and were primarily interested in TF.

10. Collapse Details

Yeah, I guess we are all wired differently. My brother claims it makes no difference to him either. I suppose when a race plays out according to form without any records being broken, I get equal pleasure looking at the results beforehand, but when I watch someone pull off a big upset or run a crazy time, I experience a level of excitement that can't be duplicated by looking at a results page.

In the Doha women's 400, I was absolutely convinced Naser's implosion was imminent when she hit the homestretch, but it never happened. Similarly, I was convinced that Centrowitz was going to get outkicked in Rio but he held on. You don't get those moments of suspense from a results page.