Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    I had a pair of blue Tokyo spikes...great shoes...

Right about Gazelles wearing out fast...but what a comfy shoe...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I had a pair of blue Tokyo spikes...great shoes...

Right about Gazelles wearing out fast...but what a comfy shoe...
    +1. I borrowed a pair of those blue Tokyo spikes--for one meet, the B1320 Pioneer League Championship . What an incredible shoe! Wings on my feet, for sure. In one race I went from 3:27 to 3:18. Probably would have run faster, but went out in 59, 2:06.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Short course prevention factor???
    The certifiers of a road course measure the course 0.1% long. This recognizes that repeated measurements of the same course will produce a gaussian distribution of results about a mean. The 0.1% extra has been used for decades to ensure that a remeasurement will not measure the course short. So, unless something changed recently, the marathon courses we are talking are measured as a nominal 42195 + 42 = 42237 meters.

4. Collapse Details

Thanks Master403.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    I was thinking of his pace and it dawned on me that his PACE would win/medal at many Girls' HS 800 State Meets!
    High school? A college all-star relay team of 26 women would have lost to him.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    The certifiers of a road course measure the course 0.1% long. This recognizes that repeated measurements of the same course will produce a gaussian distribution of results about a mean. The 0.1% extra has been used for decades to ensure that a remeasurement will not measure the course short. So, unless something changed recently, the marathon courses we are talking are measured as a nominal 42195 + 42 = 42237 meters.
    I doubt that the Vienna course was 42237 meters. If the distance was double checked by top-level course measurers, there's no reason for them to have built in the short course prevention factor and, of course, there was every reason for them not to under the circumstances.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by G.Ahearn View Post
    +1. I borrowed a pair of those blue Tokyo spikes--for one meet, the B1320 Pioneer League Championship . What an incredible shoe! Wings on my feet, for sure. In one race I went from 3:27 to 3:18. Probably would have run faster, but went out in 59, 2:06.
    Similar experience. Went from a 16.2 120HHer to a 15.4 guy mid-way thru junior season when I got a pair of Tokyos! I just felt faster.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I doubt that the Vienna course was 42237 meters. If the distance was double checked by top-level course measurers, there's no reason for them to have built in the short course prevention factor and, of course, there was every reason for them not to under the circumstances.
    Measurer would know more...but the curious part was on the roundabouts....there were no cones....unlike Breaking 2....just a curve...and Kipchoge ran in the middle which must have added a bit....so hopefully we can get some details....I know how I would have measured the course but curious what Ineos people did....

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Measurer would know more...but the curious part was on the roundabouts....there were no cones....unlike Breaking 2....just a curve...and Kipchoge ran in the middle which must have added a bit....so hopefully we can get some details....I know how I would have measured the course but curious what Ineos people did....
    I was not directly involved with the measurement.
    So let me open up Pandora's Box. The addition of 0.1% (42 m in a marathon) is a recommendation but nearly all measurers add it to ensure that the course is at least the distance upon re-measurement. In a scenario where measurer "x" measures a course where a world record is set where he added the 42 meters but was sloppy, then measurer "B" who is an IAAF Level A measurer performs a verification measurement (as required for ratification) but only finds the course to be 42195 + 2 m (not 42195+42 m), does the record count? The answer is yes because the course only needs to be 42195m. So if you have 2 or 3 IAAF Level A measurers performing the measurement in the first place and they are in within a few meters of each other, then why would they have to add the full 42m? FYI- Every major event I know has the 0.1& added but at a 2:01 pace the extra 42 m would add approximately 7 seconds to the time.

10. Collapse Details

That was what I thought about the 42 meters...you want some extra if someone else comes along and measures....nothing worse than measuring a course and someone else comes along and finds it 2 meters short...

Anyways I'm still curious about the roundabouts....the straight was no problem...but going too wide, say 1 meter, on each one would be somewhere around 5 meters on each roundabout... and no cones? I'm not aware of any major course doing only a painted line...I can see why they didn't have cones because they would interfere with the pacing arrangement...