Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by einnod23 View Post
    Historical times like Kipchoge's 1:59 highlights the importance of both rabbits and course! Any "imperfect" entity of the race has to be made up by the other great parts. for example.....

I saw Eamonn "fail" at his attempt to break 4 minute masters at Milrose. (he ran 4:02! Still was a WMR!) They had him in a "regular" mile race, as opposed to the "Wannamaker" group! Running boards at MSG is not easy! I thought the "Wannamaker" field could've "pulled him," a bit more, to make up for an imperfect track! (I don't think he would've been that far back!) And a week later, a better Boston track enabled him to break 4:00!

Flat Vienna course + rotating rabbits (a virtual who's who!) = 1:59!

I want to see a 1:59 in New York or Boston! That's the real mountaintop!
    The 160y track was not well-suited for Coghlan to try and break 4 minutes. He ran 4:01.39 on that track (and its tight turns) in 1993, before he tried again the next winter on a 200m track.

2. Collapse Details

10 years. Not Kipchoge or Beleke, but the next great marathoner. I do think the psychological barrier broken today will help. As others have mentioned, the proliferation of sub-4 miles after Bannister reinforces that notion. It could also be argued that the circumstances of Bannister's barrier-breaking run were almost as artificial as today's, by the standards of the day.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Decades? Given what I saw in Berlin in back-to-back years, we might see it before the end of the next decade. Remember: Kipchoge took a minute and 18 seconds off the previous WR. And what was Bekele's PR before he ran 2:01:41?
    Decades as in closer to 15-20 years than in the next 10 years.

4. Collapse Details

A year ago, I would have bet the farm that no human would run a sub-2 marathon in my (admittedly waning) lifetime. I was wrong. Still seems humanely impossible but I was wrong.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    What did Joan Benoit-Samuelson (62) run in Berlin?
    3:02:21. Finished 2nd in her age group to Ria Van Landeghem (BEL), 3:02:05.

6. Collapse Details

Analysis of this latest Nike shoe.

https://www.believeintherun.com/2019...oge-prototype/

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    What's the minimum number of runners required for an IAAF-sanctioned road race and track race?
    Can anyone provide a definitive answer to this question? Is the answer 5 for each sex which it appears to be according this document?

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/competiti...72158c0999.pdf

8. Collapse Details

Track distance races have been turned into time trials - all for the 'excitement' of a shorter event.
    The marathon has been turned into a time trial.
    Elite athletes race as frequently as necessary to maintain their 'brand'.
    Its no wonder the sport is on the steep decline.

9. Collapse Details

If Kipchoge is the marathon equivalent of Edmund Hillary, the first sub-2:00 marathoner in an IAAF-sanctioned race will be the equivalent of Reinhold Messner, the first man to climb Everest without oxygen. In the last 24 hours, Kipchoge has gotten a lot of press in the mainstream media, that I suspect will be lacking for the first man to run a legal sub-2:00 marathon. After all, Hillary is much more famous than Messner, who is a footnote in history.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    If Kipchoge is the marathon equivalent of Edmund Hillary, the first sub-2:00 marathoner in an IAAF-sanctioned race will be the equivalent of Reinhold Messner, the first man to climb Everest without oxygen. In the last 24 hours, Kipchoge has gotten a lot of press in the mainstream media, that I suspect will be lacking for the first man to run a legal sub-2:00 marathon. After all, Hillary is much more famous than Messner, who is a footnote in history.
    Somewhat biased point of view. Firstly, why mention Hillary repeatedly, yet no Tenzing? Those who follow mountaineering fairly closely, place people like Messner, and even more so, Kukuczka, in a very special category. The 1953 Everest expedition, was well planned by a large team, with lots of support. No way to be compared to the single man "assaults" of Messner/Kukuczka.