Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    As impressive a feat as it is, it was the boringest piece of T&F I've ever watched in my life.
    Than why the fuck did you watch it. You had almost 2 hours to go out and mow your lawn or get something to eat or take a nap...no, you watched it. Don't lie to us...you were just as captivated as the rest of us just you can't admit it.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Than why the fuck did you watch it. You had almost 2 hours to go out and mow your lawn or get something to eat or take a nap...no, you watched it. Don't lie to us...you were just as captivated as the rest of us just you can't admit it.
    Sure I was intrigued to see whether he'd do it or not. But seeing a group run around at an exactly constant pace for 2 hours isn't exactly fascinating in itself. For most of the run I had the TV on, but muted and was simultaneously watching something else on the internet. That was enough to keep an eye on whether they were still on pace, which was the only thing that mattered.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I doubt that was it..Lima was attacked from the side...somehow someone chasing up from behind on a guy going sub 4:40 pace with people and officials around seems unlikely...Anyways I'm sure we will get an explanation soon.
    In their positions, they'd be able to see and block somebody coming at him from the side if it's their responsibility to watch out for that.

If the official reason is security, they won't say that because it's bad PR.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    I semi-agree with you Conor Dary but Berlin is in the autumn. What major marathons are unpaced other than New York and Chicago, Fukuoka?
    Pacers would be good for at least half of the race....it would still be a good race.

5. Collapse Details

I'm afraid it's hard to get excited about anything Kenyan lately. I actually just don't care. May as well tell me when the price of paper towel is going down in Iceland.

6. Collapse Details

Could this be repeated in a legitimate competition?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Could this be repeated in a legitimate competition?
    No way. This was the ultimate paced effort. It was like a laboratory experiment. In either a paced or un-paced real world race there would still be surges in the latter half. There would be different preparation and a different mental approach by the athletes.

8. Collapse Details

I surmised the two trailing runners were there to keep EK from drifting too far behind the leaders.
    I watched on the You Tube link... NBC Gold circled for two hours never did show live.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Sure I was intrigued to see whether he'd do it or not. But seeing a group run around at an exactly constant pace for 2 hours isn't exactly fascinating in itself. For most of the run I had the TV on, but muted and was simultaneously watching something else on the internet. That was enough to keep an eye on whether they were still on pace, which was the only thing that mattered.

Wow! This was absolutely riveting to me! I LOVED how metronomic it was. That was part of the excitement; seeing how each KM played out. And I thought the commentators did a great job. I loved how they interviewed the pacers (WHAT AN ALL-STAR lineup of pacers...and Eliud's wife...she's gorgeous!).

I was pumped the whole time and emotional at the end. This was amazing. No matter what, he did it...and he had something left it looked like. Good for him.

I heard the commentators mention early that the two in the back also had something to do with aerodynamics - they were helping with the wash created by the front of the pack...so whoever mentioned the "bubble" that's about right.
    Last edited by scottmitchell74; 10-12-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    No way. This was the ultimate paced effort. It was like a laboratory experiment. In either a paced or un-paced real world race there would still be surges in the latter half. There would be different preparation and a different mental approach by the athletes.
    Not only would you need pacers who could run someway beyond halfway at sub 2:00 pace you want ones who could do it at a very steady speed.