Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by huntinwr View Post
    I'm glad it's over. Now let's get back to actual competitions between athletes.
    In exploring the frontiers of human performance, it is often necessary for one person to forge ahead of others.
    Great breakthroughs are possible in the absence of competition and that goes (for me) in T&F too.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Amazing how relaxed he looked at the end...

Ps...on Twitter lots of non track people are posting this....

https://mobile.twitter.com/EliudKipc...gi_id=55086215
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-12-2019 at 02:09 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    As impressive a feat as it is, it was the boringest piece of T&F I've ever watched in my life.
    The fact that it started an hour after my normal bedtime had much to do with my sleeping through the first hour of it. While I found the last hour to be worth the wait and easier to stay awake for after my nap, the announcing was predictably boring, repetitive and hyperbolic. It's hard for four announcers to talk for two hours about a one-man race without being boring & repetitive, while the quest itself leads to hyperbolic prose (enough with the Neil Armstrong references already).

Many congrats to Kipchoge for breaking the barrier - now I look forward to seeing a 2-hour marathon in a sanctioned race.
    Last edited by bad hammy; 10-12-2019 at 02:16 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    An interesting question was raised by one of the Polish Eurosport commentators during the run: what was the purpose of having two guys run behind Kipchoge all the way?
    Maybe security? Somebody to watch his back. Having two guys in that position makes it harder for a nutjob to scamper onto the course and tackle Kipchoge, like what happened to de Lima years ago.

5. Collapse Details

Definitely something you can enjoy with the mute on....it's like commentating on a sunrise...

https://mobile.twitter.com/citizentv...33504453042176

6. Collapse Details

I set the DVR for the 1:45 to 3:00 A.M E.D.T. broadcast, and was up for good at about 7:00 so I decided to watch. I soon realized that the broadcast was delayed and I wasn't going to see the finish. In fact the broadcasters mentioned that the start time was going to be flexible due to the weather conditions. So I broke the first rule of DVRing, that is to add more time.
    What I would like to see in 2020 is that Kirchoge and Bekele and others go head to head on a fast course with pacesetters in a spring marathon. And then see them race again in a fall marathon that is unpaced. (To hell with a hot and humid Tokyo Olympic Marathon).

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Maybe security? Somebody to watch his back. Having two guys in that position makes it harder for a nutjob to scamper onto the course and tackle Kipchoge, like what happened to de Lima years ago.
    I doubt that was it..Lima was attacked from the side...somehow someone chasing up from behind on a guy going sub 4:40 pace with people and officials around seems unlikely...Anyways I'm sure we will get an explanation soon.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    just guessing: that creates a true "dead zone" airwise, whereas the back person(s) in the group is still affected by the flow?
    I think this is correct. I think I remember in one the Ineos documentaries, or on the broadcast, it was noted noted that it creates sort of like a bubble for Kipchoge where he is essentially not affected by any sort of wind at all with that formation.
    Last edited by ATK; 10-12-2019 at 02:27 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    I set the DVR for the 1:45 to 3:00 A.M E.D.T. broadcast, and was up for good at about 7:00 so I decided to watch. I soon realized that the broadcast was delayed and I wasn't going to see the finish. In fact the broadcasters mentioned that the start time was going to be flexible due to the weather conditions. So I broke the first rule of DVRing, that is to add more time.
    What I would like to see in 2020 is that Kirchoge and Bekele and others go head to head on a fast course with pacesetters in a spring marathon. And then see them race again in a fall marathon that is unpaced. (To hell with a hot and humid Tokyo Olympic Marathon).
    I agree with that ....Berlin between those 2 next year would be the event of the year....

10. Collapse Details

I semi-agree with you Conor Dary but Berlin is in the autumn. What major marathons are unpaced other than New York and Chicago, Fukuoka?