Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    US men and women’s 2019 AOY
    Who do we expect to take the these honors?

Brazier, Kovacs, and Kendricks would seem good candidates.

Delilah Muhammad would seem like the obvious choice for the Women’s AOY.

2. Collapse Details

Delilah Muhammad had a great year with her World Championships individual and relay Golds and twice breaking the WR. But I think she’s edged out by Hassan’s WR, coupled with her World Championship Golds in two events. Pretty good time in the 1500 by the way.
    Last edited by effable; 10-08-2019 at 05:16 AM.

3. Collapse Details

No way Kovacs gets it, he will not even be number 1 in his event in the US, and winning by the slimmest of margins is exciting but not dominant. You seem to have left out two of the most obvious candidates with only a single loss each with 1 Gold and a Relay Gold as well as CT in the TJ.

4. Collapse Details

Taylor should have been included. No question. Kovacs has the longest throw in almost 30 years as part of winning and getting the WC record. Both Coleman and Lyles did great things but their times were not shocking.
    Last edited by Dave; 10-09-2019 at 03:21 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Kovacs suffers from not being very clearly better than two other marks; Crouser's and Walsh's marks were avery bit as shocking as Kovacs - in fact Walsh's was more shocking at the time. I am not sure that Kovacs will be in the Top 10 for AOY, and he will not even be the number 1 American in the SP, so no chance that he is even that close for American AOY.

6. Collapse Details

Kendricks or Lyles for me, based on where their 2019 best marks put them on world all-time lists and their Diamond League wins, in addition to world titles.

Double DL win for Lyles. American record for Kendricks. I could see either one.

800m is my favorite event but Brazier "only" now in 11th spot on world all-time list. And he didn't have to face Amos.

Kovacs and Coleman didn't win Diamond League.

Taylor didn't have the best TJ by an American.

7. Collapse Details

Brazier is surely in the top three. AR indoor and outdoors. WR in the indoor 600m. Diamond league and World champion.

Believe he only lost one race this year at 800m.

8. Collapse Details

Indoor doesn't count for AOY voting. As I see it, the choice for Mens USAOY is between Kendricks and Brazier. on the mens side. Toss a coin. Coleman, Lyles and Taylor round out the top 5.

The women's USAOY is Muhammed, who will also be runner up for world AOY to Hassan. Nia Ali will be the women's USAOY runner up.

9. Collapse Details

Why is indoors not considered? Yes the competition and the records are weaker, but it is still part of the athletes' resume. At the very least, it should act as a bonus.

10. Collapse Details

Mostly I'm guessing because not everyone can compete indoors. No long throws, no Decathlon, no distance races, no 100 meters. Pretty much a different beast.