Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
  1. Collapse Details

He didn't run downhill, he didn't have a giant fan blowing behind his back, he wasn't being towed by a car or cyclist or dog, and his shoes didn't have rockets or wheels. He ran the entire distance under his own power, period. The fact that the engineered conditions didn't qualify for an official world record doesn't turn his achievement into the equivalent of getting transported by a flatbed truck.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I can see that there multiple people here missing a lampoon gene

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Pretty stupid...but whatever....
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the 2 party-poopers who openly mocked the attempt earlier in this thread. Neither one has been back since a few hours after Kipchoge's run, and now one of them (if it was one of them) has gone to the point of ad hom in a last, desperate attempt to gain favor in discrediting the fact that it was the single greatest training run in history. [And when it comes to training runs, you can use anything to guide you to your best performance, so long as you don't get dirty.]

So what if it doesn't count as a world record? What he proved out there is that it can be done. He was already close enough in a certified race. It would have been a different story if the WR had not gone much lower than it was in 2000. And given that both he and Kenenisa Bekele are just about 1:40 away from breaking 2 hours, and the WR has dropped 2:20 since 2010, we can expect the possibility that the WR could very well drop to under 2 hours before the end of the next decade, whether by either one of these 2, or by those who have broken 2:03;30 most recently; Legese and Geremew among them.

4. Collapse Details

I bet if Nike built a new high jump shoe that allowed someone to jump 8'6", we wouldn't think everything was hunky-dorry.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    a letter to the editor that came in today:

<<I am disappointed and even a bit appalled that you would write an article about such an artificially staged event as bearing any semblance of legitimacy, other than to disparage it. Your statement should read something like, "Eliud Kipchoge became the first man to artificially break the 2:00 barrier [sic] in an artificially staged 'marathon' show."

I believe Eluid staged this event because he was hell bent on going down in history as being the first man to run a 2 hr. or sub 2-hr. marathon, but realizing that his prospects of achieving this in a legitimate marathon are slim to none, he was willing to "achieve" this "feat" by any means necessary, legitimate or not. So he bought and paid for a staged set-up that allowed him to do this, even though it has no pretense of reality. Now, because a (legitimately) once great athlete has allowed his ego to corrupt him, he has established a precedent which will encourage other athletes to become the "first man", "first woman", or "first person" to... (whatever), in their respective fields, by staging artificial conditions which enable them to perform "superhuman" feats.

Nonetheless, Eliud has inspired me - to stage my own fake "first man to..." event. I have already started setting aside money to rent an extendable 80' flatbed trailer on which I will install a moving walkway conveyor, and on which I will walk as it is pulled along a 26.2-mile "marathon" course, at a pace which will enable me to become the "first man to 'walk' a marathon in a super-human record setting 1 hour and 30 minutes flat". I will perform this on an open, outdoor course and under whatever weather conditions are present on the scheduled day, and I will even walk backwards along parts of the course, which will also have a variance in elevation along the course of up to 50' to make the course more "realistic" and will increase the "challenge" and the level of difficulty. I can hardly wait...

Regards,

xxx

P.S. Let's see Eliud top this... ✌ �� ✌
    Obviously someone who thinks the world's top marathoner=world's richest sportsman!

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    I bet if Nike built a new high jump shoe that allowed someone to jump 8'6", we wouldn't think everything was hunky-dorry.
    I'd love to see that....40 foot long jumps too!

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Nick Symmonds is pretty funny here....great video...

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a2...GDDPrbKw3iyXco