Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 1:59...

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    That was the "Cub" with same sole as the Onitsuka Tiger Marathon pictured above.

Oh yes...I remember those...I don't think it had the same sole though...the Tiger Marathons, if you can believe it, were rather revolutionary when they came out. They were a huge hit.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-14-2019 at 04:41 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bhall View Post
    I watched this yesterday when I was on the trainer. I wasn't very enthusiastic about the "challenge" going in. But I definitely got into it. Three things hooked me - the pacers' enthusiasm, Kipchoge's attitude about barrier breaking, and the crowd.
    Indeed the pacers were the best part I thought....their excitement for Kipchoge is what I think appealed to the non athletic crowd....and we are talking about top athletes...

Frankly they could have made it easier by having Kipchoge run right behind an electric car with shielding on the back. But it would have looked sterile....the pacers gave it a human touch...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    I used to think the same way until Nike's vaporfly cut Kipchoge's time by almost 90 sec., and then the same with Bekele's time. Actually, what changed my mind even more than those performances are Geremew's 2:02:55 and Legese's 2:02:48. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but 2:02 no longer seems that special after those two went sub-2:03. (I felt the same way about sub-2:05, when Duncan Kibet and James Kwambai went 2:04:27.)

I think the biggest variable in this question is how much the shoe technology changes in the next 10-15 years.
    I've become converted to the same opinion after previously thinking a few years ago that the 2:00 barrier in a conventional, sanctioned race was just too far off to be broken until years and years had passed. But when you look at the link someone here posted about the newest shoes Kipchoge was wearing for this latest effort ("pogo shoes," I've seen them termed elsewhere)... and combine that with the fact Kipchoge had more in the tank at the end of his 1:59:41 and did not appear to be too terribly spent from it, at least not at the same level he was from the 2:00:25...

Just can't believe his fitness, especially in his mid-thirties, has somehow leapfrogged two years later with some new or secret training method to account for the significant improvement in time with less effort. Even a superstar like him is mortal, and fortunate to be maintaining fitness at his age, let alone making another substantial advance like this.

For me it all points to the shoes. With the advent of the VaporFly 4% a couple years ago, I found myself starting to lose interest in record marathon times, and now even more so with these latest contraptions. It's as if, since the VaporFly didn't get slapped down as illegal, Nike took that as a signal "anything goes," and now they've been emboldened to shoot for the moon.

It's always been difficult to compare times from one era to another given different materials, technology, and training aids. But the slope is getting so slippery of late with these shoes, it's hard to know what I'm looking at anymore in gauging what now seem like relativistic circus performances.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Oh yes...I remember those...I don't think it had the same sole though...the Tiger Marathons, if you can believe it, were rather revolutionary when they came out. They were a huge hit.
    Can't tell for sure by the picture, but they could have had the same sole. I seem to recall that Kenny Moore may have mentioned these shoes in his Men of Oregon book. Something about they were really intended for high jumpers? Anyway, they were the first running shoes I ever had. The next pair were some incredibly soft, extremely comfortable running flat from Adidas--blue Kangaroo, I think. No comparison.

5. Collapse Details

The Adidas were the Gazelles...Kangaroo leather..great shoe...blue, red and the best color Azteca Gold with black stripes...rather cushiony too....

6. Collapse Details

The Adidas were the Gazelles...Kangaroo leather..great shoe...blue, red and the best color Azteca Gold with black stripes...rather cushiony too....
    Gazelles were really popular amongst my HS teammates but I didn't like them. I don't recall why I didn't like them. I wore Nike Cortez around that time IIRC.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    3:02:21. Finished 2nd in her age group to Ria Van Landeghem (BEL), 3:02:05.
    That might very well be a w60+ AR for Joan. If Wikipedia's stats are up-to-date, she missed the w60+ WR by 52 seconds.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 10-15-2019 at 12:06 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Apparently, she is going for a sub-3 in London next year.

9. Collapse Details

I was thinking of his pace and it dawned on me that his PACE would win/medal at many Girls' HS 800 State Meets!
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

10. Collapse Details

I remember that the Gazelles came out the same time as the Tokyo's spikes - both had blue kangaroo skin with white stripes. Then for the 1968 Games in Mexico City, adidas changed the colors: same shoes but different colors - the Aztec Gold Spikes (gold with black stripes) and the Gazelles new version became the Mexicana's (also gold with black stripes). Both versions of the Gazelles was like running on a cloud but the soles wore out very quickly. Adidas also made a marathon shoe out of kangaroo skin with the creative name "marathons".