Performance: Dalilah Muhammed

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Performer: 1)Sifan Hassan 2)D. Muhammed 3)Nasser

Performance: Dalilah Muhammed
    Can't argue with that.

3. Collapse Details

Performer is Hassan
    Performance, I will say Muhammad, but I feel like I was more impressed with Naser's race only because of context, relative to the history of her event.
    Event of the meet was Men's Shot Put.

4. Collapse Details

I know these things are subjective. Having watched the sport since Munich 1972, I've seen Szewinska then Koch then Kratochvilova. Naser ran faster than Koch ever did with the exception of her world record. It would take a 400 hurdles time at least a second faster than 52.16 to compare to that. For me that is the performance of the meet, and performer as well. Naser put herself pretty much on par with 21.71/47.60 and 47.99/1:53.28 athletes.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 10-09-2019 at 02:06 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Even though their times weren't close to the WRs, Cheruiyot and Brazier's utter dominance stand out. For comeback of the meet, Barshim.

6. Collapse Details

And Muhammad had a relay gold as well as a World Record. Not sure about the 1.0 second comparison because that would mean that there have been lots of runners in the 400 that were at or below the 400h WR equivalent. When you add in relay legs, we are doing equivalents here, that means that dozen of times runners have performed better than the 400h WR, a record that had stood for a fair while.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    And Muhammad had a relay gold as well as a World Record. Not sure about the 1.0 second comparison because that would mean that there have been lots of runners in the 400 that were at or below the 400h WR equivalent. When you add in relay legs, we are doing equivalents here, that means that dozen of times runners have performed better than the 400h WR, a record that had stood for a fair while.
    Using that 1.0 difference as I did, that means the 11 women who've run sub-49 have superior performances to the 400H WR. That seems about bang on to me. And no, you should not consider relay times, there are great relay splits by people like Felix who have never been able to do from the blocks what their relay splits would "indicate".

8. Collapse Details

Relay splits are just as relevant because you are comparing two events that run differently. Clearly the 400 is closer to the 400r that it is to the 400h, so pulling in another 'same distance' event is bang on the nose relevant. It informs you whether your conversion factor is accurate and the 400r data call it in to question.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Relay splits are just as relevant because you are comparing two events that run differently. Clearly the 400 is closer to the 400r that it is to the 400h, so pulling in another 'same distance' event is bang on the nose relevant. It informs you whether your conversion factor is accurate and the 400r data call it in to question.
    There is a widely accepted number of 0.8 to add to a relay split with a running start. And when someone can explain why Alyson Felix' 47.7 should be compared to a hurdles time when all she ever did from the blocks was 49.3, then I'd say you're on to something. Too many really fast relay runners whose splits are not comparable to their regular times.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Using that 1.0 difference as I did, that means the 11 women who've run sub-49 have superior performances to the 400H WR. That seems about bang on to me. And no, you should not consider relay times, there are great relay splits by people like Felix who have never been able to do from the blocks what their relay splits would "indicate".
    I am not sure where you got the 1.0 differential, to be honest. From looking at athletes who have run the one lap with and without hurdles, it always seems to me that the differential for a single athlete was closer to 2.5 seconds.