Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

AOY is about the whole season, not just one meet. Kovacs won less than 1/3 of his meets this year, didn't win the Diamond League, didn't win the US trials, and his win in Doha was considered an upset because the rest of his season didn't indicate that he would even win a medal.

There's a reasonable argument for his Doha win being the US POY, but he's not even close to AOY.

2. Collapse Details

Kendricks or Lyles kind of clear IMO. Lyles' 100m season adds too much to his case.
    - DL champion
    - Only person to beat the #1 100m guy
    - 2nd fastest in the world

But then Kendricks with no losses to Americans (I think?) and the American record may give him a step since Lyles doesn't have those in the 200m.

Brazier would be 3rd as he unfortunately doesn't have a 2nd event and (seems like) he competed relatively infrequently outdoors.
    Last edited by ATK; 10-08-2019 at 11:24 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    Taylor didn't have the best TJ by an American.
    Out of the 5 times that Taylor and Claye faced each other this year, Clay won once. Its not even close for who's the top TJ this year.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by effable View Post
    Delilah Muhammad had a great year with her World Championships individual and relay Golds and twice breaking the WR. But I think she’s edged out by Hassan’s WR, coupled with her World Championship Golds in two events. Pretty good time in the 1500 by the way.
    Hassan is my choice for World AOY but she's not an American (see thread title).

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Kendricks or Lyles kind of clear IMO. Lyles' 100m season adds too much to his case.
    - DL champion
    - Only person to beat the #1 100m guy
    - 2nd fastest in the world

But then Kendricks with no losses to Americans (I think?) and the American record may give him a step since Lyles doesn't have those in the 200m.

Brazier would be 3rd as he unfortunately doesn't have a 2nd event and (seems like) he competed relatively infrequently outdoors.
    Claye finished ahead of Taylor at the US Championships, as well. It was Taylor’s choice to not give an effort there and it still counts as a loss.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Taylor should have been included. No question. Kovacs has the longest throw in almost 30 years as part of winning and getting the WC record. Both Coleman and Lyles did great things but there times were not shocking.
    Regarding Coleman and Lyles, men's sprinters will run in the shadow of Bolt for a long time. Someone might have a season chock full of 9.9x & 9.8x, with a 9.7x in there, plus a global championship, and yet still fall short of Bolt's stature. Such is the world of following the short sprint GOAT.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Claye finished ahead of Taylor at the US Championships, as well. It was Taylor’s choice to not give an effort there and it still counts as a loss.
    I would think T&FN will give credit to Claye for the win, but not count it as a loss for CT.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    800m is my favorite event but Brazier "only" now in 11th spot on world all-time list. And he didn't have to face Amos.
    Although it has nothing to do with the US AOY, Brazier beat Amos 2 out 3 times, and his loss was his first 800m of the year in the Doha DL and his 2 wins were in Rome and Zurich.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by br View Post
    [Brazier's] loss was his first 800m of the year in Doha
    Fixed that!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by br View Post
    Although it has nothing to do with the US AOY, Brazier beat Amos 2 out 3 times, and his loss was his first 800m of the year in the Doha DL and his 2 wins were in Rome and Zurich.
    I should have been more clear. DB didn't have to face Amos at WC.

Yes, DB did run Amos down at the line in Zurich when DB ran even splits and Amos ran 48/54. Amos would still have been favorite for the WC, given that he had a 1:41 on the board this season and DB has never run that fast.

And I do think it matters for the US AOY because Brazier's WC title would have been more impressive if he had managed to knock off the favorite head-to-head when it most mattered.