Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by highjumpfan View Post
    Indoor doesn't count for AOY voting. As I see it, the choice for Mens USAOY is between Kendricks and Brazier. on the mens side. Toss a coin. Coleman, Lyles and Taylor round out the top 5.

The women's USAOY is Muhammed, who will also be runner up for world AOY to Hassan. Nia Ali will be the women's USAOY runner up.
    Now, that's a strange choice given that she will be hard pressed to be #1 in her event.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by highjumpfan View Post
    Nia Ali will be the women's USAOY runner up.
    Not a chance in the world that happens.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Claye finished ahead of Taylor at the US Championships, as well. It was Taylor’s choice to not give an effort there and it still counts as a loss.
    You really think that Claye beat Taylor at the US Champs? Taylor did not jump, he just went and step over the line once because he was required to do just that. Ask gh if that goes as a loss.

As for Brazier, I think that he thinner competition as several of the top guys were not there or not in great shape. In the TJ, I think that fourth place would have been enough to win a lot of prior editions. The shot also was very competitive all year, as was the vault. Lyles was a double DL champ (how many others did that?) and not only won virtually everything usually won by a lot [If USADA hadn't screwed up, he likely would not have won the 100 and might not have even competed]

4. Collapse Details

Muhammad has a couple losses to McLaughlin
    DeAnna Price has one minor loss to Gwen Berry
    Lyles had that 200 loss to Norman
    Taylor had losses to Craddock and Claye

Brazier has no losses to Americans
    Benjamin has no losses to Americans

Gonna be an interesting process sorting out AOYs!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    You really think that Claye beat Taylor at the US Champs? Taylor did not jump, he just went and step over the line once because he was required to do just that. Ask gh if that goes as a loss.
    From the USATF Selection Procedures:

A reigning 2017 IAAF World Outdoor Champion who competes at the Selection Event receives an automatic wild-card bye into the World Championships for the event in which he or she is the reigning World Champion
    The key work is "competes". If Taylor was given the wild-card bye then he was considered to have competed, which means that it counts as either a win or loss. If he didn't compete then he shouldn't have been awarded the wild-card bye. Can't have one without the other, it's a package deal.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    They raced 4 times this season: Oslo, USAs, Zurich and Worlds. Their head to head is 2-2. So when you eliminate that, Muhammad won the 2 biggest meets, USA's and World's, as well as broke the WR 2 times. IMO there really is no competition for US AOY on the women's side.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    From the USATF Selection Procedures:

The key work is "competes". If Taylor was given the wild-card bye then he was considered to have competed, which means that it counts as either a win or loss. If he didn't compete then he shouldn't have been awarded the wild-card bye. Can't have one without the other, it's a package deal.
    Pretty sure TFN can do whatever they want with respect to their rankings. This is all semantics. He definitely did not compete in any real sense. And frankly the people that wrote these rules knew this was a possibility and did not try to prevent it, so I am pretty sure they weren't worried about REAL competition either.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    They raced 4 times this season: Oslo, USAs, Zurich and Worlds. Their head to head is 2-2. So when you eliminate that, Muhammad won the 2 biggest meets, USA's and World's, as well as broke the WR 2 times. IMO there really is no competition for US AOY on the women's side.
    DeAnna Price could maybe be considered as close. She only lost once to another American, won USA's first-ever gold and set the American record in her event. I suppose it depends on how head-to-head vs. other Americans stacks up against WRs/ARs in the AOY voting.

9. Collapse Details

From what I know, head to head is one of the top factors, but at least IMO, all the other factors blow Price out the water. Muhammad essentially did everything Price did and more since she set the AR twice (plus WR twice). Im not sure the 1st hammer gold is a comparable allocate.

Also strength of competition? I mean Muhammad essentially had to run a WR this year to win.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    DeAnna Price has one minor loss to Gwen Berry
    Lyles had that 200 loss to Norman
    Taylor had losses to Craddock and Claye

Brazier has no losses to Americans
    Benjamin has no losses to Americans

Gonna be an interesting process sorting out AOYs!
    Are you leaving Kendricks out intentionally? He's the first male I thought of for AOY.