Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. Collapse Details
    The Mondo - McLaughlin Decade
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,927
    I have mentioned this before, but because the 2020s will be their time, as determined in the 2029 polling for Athlete of the Decade, it is altogether fitting that they both won the silver, so the Decade can properly run from 2020-2029 with their 3 Oly and 5 WC Golds each!!

    edit: their WRs in 2029 will be 6.30 and 51.50 respectively.
    Last edited by Atticus; 10-07-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,079
    Good points, but then again, who in 1999 foresaw Bekele and/or Isinbayeva dominating their decade? If they continue to improve, M&M will be among the dominant athletes, but it will be exciting to see who joins them as the future face of the sport. Coleman &/or Lyles? Nasar &/or Cunningham? Athletes we haven't yet heard of?
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have mentioned this before, but because the 2020s will be their time, as determined in the 2029 polling for Athlete of the Decade, it is altogether fitting that they both won the silver, so the Decade can properly run from 2020-2029 with their 3 Oly and 5 WC Golds each!!

    edit: their WRs in 2029 will be 6.30 and 51.50 respectively.
    They will likely set those WRs but by the end of the decade those records will be ecliped by someone we haven't heard from yet!
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,460
    Possible....but you never know what will happen....it was suppose to be the Salazar decade in 1982...WR holder, Boston and 3 time NYC Marathon winner....and undefeated....and it was soon over....
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    11,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Possible....but you never know what will happen....it was suppose to be the Salazar decade in 1982...WR holder, Boston and 3 time NYC Marathon winner....and undefeated....and it was soon over....
    Long distance running, at the highest levels, is very hard on the body. PVers and 400Hers seem to have longer careers at the top.

    While I do agree that there are no sure-things in T&F, I do feel that both are fully capable of becoming the GOATs of their respective events.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sleeping in Finland
    Posts
    4,349
    It could easily be someone we have heard of and would still never pick to be the next big star. That's where Mo was in '09.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Long distance running, at the highest levels, is very hard on the body. PVers and 400Hers seem to have longer careers at the top.

    While I do agree that there are no sure-things in T&F, I do feel that both are fully capable of becoming the GOATs of their respective events.
    I agree....and they most likely will do well...but I could easily come up with more...track, and all sports, is filled with stories of unfulfilled glory after great promising starts...
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,460
    Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    It could easily be someone we have heard of and would still never pick to be the next big star. That's where Mo was in '09.
    Not sure if going down that route is wise now....
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have mentioned this before, but because the 2020s will be their time, as determined in the 2029 polling for Athlete of the Decade, it is altogether fitting that they both won the silver, so the Decade can properly run from 2020-2029 with their 3 Oly and 5 WC Golds each!!

    edit: their WRs in 2029 will be 6.30 and 51.50 respectively.
    Both of those sound good. But I would push the second mark down closer to 51.0.

    With respect to the 80's being the Salazar Decade, I still feel that he did lasting damage in that brutally hot Falmouth race where they thought he was dying.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,436
    HJ not the right youngster:
    Yaroslava MAHUCHIKH

    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •