Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Mondo - McLaughlin Decade
    I have mentioned this before, but because the 2020s will be their time, as determined in the 2029 polling for Athlete of the Decade, it is altogether fitting that they both won the silver, so the Decade can properly run from 2020-2029 with their 3 Oly and 5 WC Golds each!!

edit: their WRs in 2029 will be 6.30 and 51.50 respectively.
    Last edited by Atticus; 10-07-2019 at 06:15 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Good points, but then again, who in 1999 foresaw Bekele and/or Isinbayeva dominating their decade? If they continue to improve, M&M will be among the dominant athletes, but it will be exciting to see who joins them as the future face of the sport. Coleman &/or Lyles? Nasar &/or Cunningham? Athletes we haven't yet heard of?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have mentioned this before, but because the 2020s will be their time, as determined in the 2029 polling for Athlete of the Decade, it is altogether fitting that they both won the silver, so the Decade can properly run from 2020-2029 with their 3 Oly and 5 WC Golds each!!

They will likely set those WRs but by the end of the decade those records will be ecliped by someone we haven't heard from yet!

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Possible....but you never know what will happen....it was suppose to be the Salazar decade in 1982...WR holder, Boston and 3 time NYC Marathon winner....and undefeated....and it was soon over....

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Possible....but you never know what will happen....it was suppose to be the Salazar decade in 1982...WR holder, Boston and 3 time NYC Marathon winner....and undefeated....and it was soon over....
    Long distance running, at the highest levels, is very hard on the body. PVers and 400Hers seem to have longer careers at the top.

While I do agree that there are no sure-things in T&F, I do feel that both are fully capable of becoming the GOATs of their respective events.

6. Collapse Details

It could easily be someone we have heard of and would still never pick to be the next big star. That's where Mo was in '09.

7. Collapse Details

Long distance running, at the highest levels, is very hard on the body. PVers and 400Hers seem to have longer careers at the top.

While I do agree that there are no sure-things in T&F, I do feel that both are fully capable of becoming the GOATs of their respective events.
    I agree....and they most likely will do well...but I could easily come up with more...track, and all sports, is filled with stories of unfulfilled glory after great promising starts...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    It could easily be someone we have heard of and would still never pick to be the next big star. That's where Mo was in '09.
    Not sure if going down that route is wise now....

9. Collapse Details

Both of those sound good. But I would push the second mark down closer to 51.0.

With respect to the 80's being the Salazar Decade, I still feel that he did lasting damage in that brutally hot Falmouth race where they thought he was dying.

10. Collapse Details

HJ not the right youngster:
    Yaroslava MAHUCHIKH