Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I can't read this. How about actual text instead of a crappy jpeg file?
    I can't read it either, but would like to. Please repost.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I can't read this. How about actual text instead of a crappy jpeg file?
    I think what was posted was from here:
    https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/ia...uality-standar

3. Collapse Details

“They could have reduced their carbon footprint a little bit by eliminating those gaudy introductions.” You may think them gaudy, but every single athlete I spoke to thought they were fantastic and wondered if they could be done more often. Have you ever been to an NCAA (men’s or womens basketball) NBA, WNBA, etc game? The athletes finally felt like they were getting similar respect. The name on the track was something that everyone watching back home commented about and posted all over social media.

4. Collapse Details

Pleasantly surprised that the meet was this good this late in the year especially given the location

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    “they could have reduced their carbon footprint a little bit by eliminating those gaudy introductions.” you may think them gaudy, but every single athlete i spoke to thought they were fantastic and wondered if they could be done more often. Have you ever been to an ncaa (men’s or womens basketball) nba, wnba, etc game? The athletes finally felt like they were getting similar respect. The name on the track was something that everyone watching back home commented about and posted all over social media.
    bingo!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    I think what was posted was from here:
    https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/ia...uality-standar
    That shows a flaw in the iaaf scoring tables. Who honestly thought Mihambo's 7.30 (which was amazing!) was better than Naser or SMU, or even Muhammad or McLaughlin?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Swampdonkey View Post
    Have you ever been to an NCAA (men’s or womens basketball) NBA, WNBA, etc game? The athletes finally felt like they were getting similar respect. The name on the track was something that everyone watching back home commented about and posted all over social media.
    Those are all played in indoor arenas. Do players get this kind of introduction before a FIFA World Cup game? I don't think I have seen any...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    That shows a flaw in the iaaf scoring tables. Who honestly thought Mihambo's 7.30 (which was amazing!) was better than Naser or SMU, or even Muhammad or McLaughlin?
    Certainly not me.
    Just for reference, here are some marks that would achieve 1288 points for women:
    400mH: 51.41
    400m: 47.99
    200m: 21.53
    100mH: 12.01
    100m: 10.60
    While Mihambo's mark was impressive, my belief is that if she can get more consistent on the board, we will see better marks from her. On the other hand, I doubt we will ever see a 12.01 100mH.

9. Collapse Details

BCBaroo, I think your home team mentality is not the way most track fans think. Track is not like Football or soccer where we just root for the home team!
    Sure, I as a Canadian was pleased to see my country win five medals, while being disappointed that some Canadians (Warner, Newman, 4x100 men, etc.) did not do better.
    But as a track fan, the highlights for me were the men's PV, the men's steeple, Hassan's great double and KJT's and Muhammad's performances.

10. Collapse Details

Fabulous performances in a stadium conducive to athletics despite the external heat and humidity. Poor crowds and atmosphere in the first few days but a complete change once Barshim competed and then tremendous support for the endurance events. It just goes to show how different parts of the world view our sport and in this case the locals came out in force to see their high jump superstar and the Africans, with all their rivalry between Kenya and Ethiopia, provided a great atmosphere for middle and long distance events.

Am I the only one to think how different it was to see thousands of Arabs, many in traditional dress, supporting Barshim? Or the sheer colour, noise and vibrancy of the East Africans? It was certainly different to any other World Championships!

There were many highlights for me but one that stands out is Callum Hawkins in the marathon. He famously staggered and collapsed in the Commonwealth Games marathon on the Gold Coast two years after leading by a long way but here he closed a gap of several minutes on the leaders. That moment when he caught them and took the lead was priceless. He didn't win but it was exciting from a British perspective and I'm sure the four African leaders were somewhat shocked and surprised!