Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    A great WC for Team USA. The high point for me was probably the improved passing and lineup for the Men's 4x100 and 4x400 Relays after near disastrous outings in the preliminary rounds.

Also the emergence of young stars with bright futures like Coleman, Lyles, Brazier, McLaughlin, Holloway, Benjamin, Rogers, Cunningham, Price and Jonathas bodes well for the future of USAT&F, to the Tokyo Olympics and beyond.
    There's definitely a changing of the guard (not just in the US ranks) and it's great to see.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    Why ? The world is full of people on planes, at events, etc. who paid different prices for the same tickets. They don't all get refunds. The market is dynamic.
    They certainly don't let the hoi polloi move up to First Class just because there aren't enough people flying....and they don't just let anyone fly for free just because there are empty seats....these analogies aren't working so far....gh is definitely winning the argument...

The story about the buffet was pretty funny I thought....

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Would I be wrong to guess that for Eugene21, the majority of fans will NOT be Oregonians?
    I don't know about that....Eugene will certainly turn out the numbers....but considering the city is only 169,000 you may have a point ....but it for sure will be bigger than Doha....

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Would I be wrong to guess that for Eugene21, the majority of fans will NOT be Oregonians?
    yes, i'm pretty sure you could be wrong

5. Collapse Details

The Willamette Valley, besides fine pinot noirs, has a sizeable population.

6. Collapse Details

Depending on the price of tickets, I suspect youíll see a lot of local interest. Iím pretty sure youíve been to meets in Eugene. You get a tremendously knowledgeable and enthusiastic crowd. Pre is always full. The Olympic trials were very well attended.

The athletes will feel much more appreciated in Eugene than they did in Doha most sessions.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    They certainly don't let the hoi polloi move up to First Class just because there aren't enough people flying....and they don't just let anyone fly for free just because there are empty seats....these analogies aren't working so far....gh is definitely winning the argument...

The story about the buffet was pretty funny I thought....
    They'll put you in first class with an economy ticket, if they've overbooked economy.

I'm not arguing in favor of the perks, I'm just observing that if the Doha organizers wanted to optimize the outcome from their point of view, admitting locals free might have been a good strategy. The lack of spectators became one of the major talking points as the meet went on, and assuming they want to continue attracting global events there and building their brand as a global cultural destination, I think it will be remembered as a major negative. I think the organizers of the 2022 football World Cup will really be chewing over this. As a hard core t&f fan watching on tv, I really didn't care that much and the quality of the competition will be what I remember. If I had been there in person, I don't think it would bother me if some locals were admitted for free. The ticket prices were modest and most of the cost of attending would have been travel and accommodation.

8. Collapse Details

As someone who has spectated at major champs with a water bottle, stats book, binoculars, stopwatch etc etc and is 6'2" having some spare seats in my vicinity tends to make things more comfortable!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    They'll put you in first class with an economy ticket, if they've overbooked economy.
    And that has no relevance to the situation here; they are not putting people in the luxury boxes because there were so many paying customers that there was not room for them all. gh keeps winning by more each iteration.

10. Collapse Details

The compromise (as pointed out) would be to let children in free - say anyone under 18. They might have even sold a few more tickets to accompanying adults.