Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 91
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #41
    Is it reasonable to conclude that the IAAF's top priorities don't include having people in the seats, and that if they can make more money from an empty stadium than a full one, they will use that to decide on location?
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    7,022
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Is it reasonable to conclude that the IAAF's top priorities don't include having people in the seats, and that if they can make more money from an empty stadium than a full one, they will use that to decide on location?
    Hard to see how that is possible, the TV/content revenue is the same regardless of how many are in the stands.

    Of course markets can get weird, If some locations can sell enclosed box seats to billionaires for 400k a box and those boxes sell best when the stadium is empty such that the track meet becomes a royal court entertainment event then all bets are off. We are not yet there.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #43
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Of course markets can get weird, If some locations can sell enclosed box seats to billionaires for 400k a box and those boxes sell best when the stadium is empty such that the track meet becomes a royal court entertainment event then all bets are off. We are not yet there.
    And I doubt if we ever will be. There were sky boxes, perhaps filled with billionaires and/or Qatari royalty, but it was impossible to see who was in them. A stadium filled with empty seats, however, is visible to the entire world and it creates a very bad image. This can have lots of negative impacts, not the least of which is the value that broadcasters and sponsors place on the sport. I cannot imagine the WC, or any other meet for that matter, getting as much revenue from the sale of private boxes as the amount that would be lost by the diminution of broadcast/sponsor revenue.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #44
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    61,829
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Is it reasonable to conclude that the IAAF's top priorities don't include having people in the seats, and that if they can make more money from an empty stadium than a full one, they will use that to decide on location?
    given the Diackian machinations that surrounded the awarding of this year's meet to Doha, not sure you can ascribe any "IAAF priorities" that jibe with reality. Both '21 and '23 figure to be big hits in the attendance department
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    11,621
    Eugene will be wild....fancy stadium...a Tower....uberfanatic crowds....the whole city behind it....after Doha just what the sport needs...
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Eugene will be wild....fancy stadium...a Tower....uberfanatic crowds....the whole city behind it....after Doha just what the sport needs...
    I hope the TV people wander around chatting with the crowds. Listening to Joe fan discussing the sport in detail would be a wonderful thing.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by tm71 View Post
    Pleasantly surprised that the meet was this good this late in the year especially given the location
    Same here!
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Eugene will be wild....fancy stadium...a Tower....uberfanatic crowds....the whole city behind it....after Doha just what the sport needs...
    Well said!
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    3,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Eugene will be wild....fancy stadium...a Tower....uberfanatic crowds....the whole city behind it....after Doha just what the sport needs...
    I am slightly worried the supply/demand equation is going to make decent seats really expensive.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,073
    Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    I am slightly worried the supply/demand equation is going to make decent seats really expensive.
    Hey, no way TrackTownUSA would gouge you . . .
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •