Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    2019 World Championships Wrap Up: Overall Thoughts, Changes, Etc
    Seen a few members expressing their thoughts on the WCs but there's no real thread so I figured to make one.

The Good:

Performance wise I think it was a great and memorable event. A lot of moments I won't forget and I'll go back and regularly watch video of.

The light show for intros I thought was corny at first but as the championships went on I started to love it. Will be interesting to see if the IOC will do the same for Tokyo 2020.

The Bad:

Location. Many were against it for various reasons but to see that stadium empty the whole meet, especially considering the performances we got was so so sad to see. Obviously there's a cloud around Doha being selected in the 1st place, but just on the surface it should've been in another city AND at its normal time in mid-August.

The new graphics the IAAF introduced in Doha were cool but slight adjustments need to be made. I was annoyed a WR/CR graphic during track races wasn't present, also the position of the clock needed to be altered. On all streaming platforms (IAAF, NBC Gold, BBC) its partially blocked (for me at least).

The Ugly:

The Doha schedule was the worst I've ever seen for a WC or Olympic Games. It played a part in many withdrawals throughout the meet. That should never happen again.

2. Collapse Details

This meet will be remembered as the first in-stadium climate-controlled one and that was HUGE!!
    I hope future venues can do something similar so the effects of wind, rain, temperature, humidity, etc., can be minimized.

3. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    This meet will be remembered as the first in-stadium climate-controlled one and that was HUGE!!
    I hope future venues can do something similar so the effects of wind, rain, temperature, humidity, etc., can be minimized.
    I'll go with the opposing view. First, the sheer amount of energy wasted to cool an outdoor stadium had to be staggering. Second, the lack of climate appeared to negatively impact some events (javelins most noticeably). Third, I love the variability that real climate conditions have on events.

4. Collapse Details

Overall great meet. Great performance by the Americans (for the most part) And some dammmmmnit that was close 4th places.

Highlights for me:

Mens' shot put!
    Women's 400h
    Both short hurdle golds!
    Donovan and the 800!
    Women's 400!
    Deanna!

Honorable mention:
    Men's Pole vault
    Men's TJ
    Men's 100

Disappointed by:
    Men's 400 Michael Norman
    Men's 200 - DL version of Lyles was far more breathtaking
    Men's 1500 (for US) I was hoping someone who turn out and podium.
    Daniel Roberts! Oh how I wished he'd been in that final, to.
    Beast

MegaRats 4th placers:
    Tori
    Shelby
    Bougard/Williams (4/5)

What'd I miss?

The preceding has been a reflection of MY opinion. No more. No less.

5. Collapse Details

If someone ever offered it up as a possibility I think a fully enclosed stadium would be awesome. And for the issue of whether that is indoors or outdoors. I really do not care.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bhall View Post
    the lack of climate appeared to negatively impact some events (javelins most noticeably). Third, I love the variability that real climate conditions have on events.
    Except Vetter threw 89 in Q and the marks across the board were way up.
    I want ZERO variability. I want the BEST man/woman to win, especially in the Field Events, not have a great effort diminished or aided by some random weather happenstance.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donley2 View Post
    If someone ever offered it up as a possibility I think a fully enclosed stadium would be awesome. And for the issue of whether that is indoors or outdoors. I really do not care.
    This is exactly why IAAF went to absolute records for WR and eliminated the requirement that there not be a roof. The idea was that sites like Doha could build enclosed stadiums, conduct championships and have valid performances, thus making the sport more global.

8. Collapse Details

This might be the best one of the best on track WC's of alltime. If only this was in a better location, with better crowd, ala Stuttgart and Helsinki '83....!
    Last edited by einnod23; 10-07-2019 at 04:33 PM.

9. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    The bad, another 110H overshadowed by a tasmanian devil posing as a hurdler. The good news; the case for a rewrite of the 110h DQ rules builds further.

10. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    I want the BEST man/woman to win, especially in the Field Events, not have a great effort diminished or aided by some random weather happenstance.
    Yawn. This is like pacemaking for field events.
    Last edited by bhall; 10-07-2019 at 06:28 PM.