Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    and what about all the people (a small number, perhaps, but the people who obviously really care about the sport) who bought tickets. You can't open the gates without givivng then their money back
    Could upgrade their seats, add amenities (private bathrooms, meals, drinks), free parking, the kind of stuff the NFL and NCAA colleges do.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    This is Doha remember...

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    and what about all the people (a small number, perhaps, but the people who obviously really care about the sport) who bought tickets. You can't open the gates without givivng then their money back
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    Could upgrade their seats, add amenities (private bathrooms, meals, drinks), free parking, the kind of stuff the NFL and NCAA colleges do.
    Allow me at this point to conjure up the Daegu '11 situation, where in an attempt to gin up attendance the orgnaizers opened the VIP Lounge (to which, as announcer, I had access). Hundreds of people were in line an hour before things opened, and then they descended on the buffet tables like a bunch of biblical locusts. It didn't ake long for it not to be a particular perk.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Don't most host sites depend on the local/domestic population for the lion's share of fan support?
    Yeah, I doubt foreign arrivals would have accounted for even 10% of attendance at any WC ever.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Yeah, I doubt foreign arrivals would have accounted for even 10% of attendance at any WC ever.
    Probably all the European WCs had more than 10% foreign; 33% would not surprise me, and while Edmonton is not that close to even most of the US, I would be surprised if that was less than 10% foreign.

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    And I doubt if we ever will be. There were sky boxes, perhaps filled with billionaires and/or Qatari royalty, but it was impossible to see who was in them. A stadium filled with empty seats, however, is visible to the entire world and it creates a very bad image. This can have lots of negative impacts, not the least of which is the value that broadcasters and sponsors place on the sport. I cannot imagine the WC, or any other meet for that matter, getting as much revenue from the sale of private boxes as the amount that would be lost by the diminution of broadcast/sponsor revenue.
    Totally agree, and no billionaire worth their weight in salt that is going to take the time to sit in a box seat where there are no people in cheap seats seething with envy for a box seat.
    Last edited by user4; 10-14-2019 at 12:26 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Would I be wrong to guess that for Eugene21, the majority of fans will NOT be Oregonians?

9. Collapse Details

A great WC for Team USA. The high point for me was probably the improved passing and lineup for the Men's 4x100 and 4x400 Relays after near disastrous outings in the preliminary rounds.

Also the emergence of young stars with bright futures like Coleman, Lyles, Brazier, McLaughlin, Holloway, Benjamin, Rogers, Cunningham, Price and Jonathas bodes well for the future of USAT&F, to the Tokyo Olympics and beyond.

10. Collapse Details

Why ? The world is full of people on planes, at events, etc. who paid different prices for the same tickets. They don't all get refunds. The market is dynamic.