Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

My brother, who once frequented this board, made the following relevant comment:

It occurs to me that the "African" strategy for distance running is not unlike what seems to be the case for sprint/middle distance races these days. W400, W400H, M400H were all won by athletes who went out really fast. M800 by someone (Brazier) who had announced that he welcomed a fast pace (which he got) and tore out with 300m to go. M400 and W800 were also pretty fast from the get-go. What seems to have vanished is the old strategy - practiced by many athletes and praised by commentators - of "Go out at a 'sensible' pace and trust your superior finish to bring you past the fools who go out fast." Instead runners at all distances are realizing that if you can run really really fast you should do it, rather than depend on your "closing" speed. I assume that entails better conditioning for exactly this situation as well.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    As someone who was somewhat underdressed on several nights in the Stadium in 2000 I can confirm it certainly wasn't ideal conditions. But shorts etc were viable some nights.
    I can 100% guarantee i wore shorts every night in Sydney

3. Collapse Details

It makes sense for the last event of the year to be the most important meet but late September and early October seems too late. I think that late August and early September is the best timeframe and if it needs to he earlier then have only two diamond league finals be the last two meets

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tm71 View Post
    It makes sense for the last event of the year to be the most important meet but late September and early October seems too late. I think that late August and early September is the best timeframe and if it needs to he earlier then have only two diamond league finals be the last two meets
    So you go up against the US Open. Good luck with the media coverage and the TV viewership.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tm71 View Post
    I think that late August and early September is the best timeframe and if it needs to he earlier then have only two diamond league finals be the last two meets
    My vision of a perfect season is the WC on the first two weekends of Sept, followed by Zurich on the third weekend. That way the DL can run thru almost mid-August. USATF could be early-to-mid-July, leaving room in June (after the NCAAs on the second w/e of June) for the collegians to decompress and regroup, and the pros some nice domestic meets in the first 3 weeks of June.

Recap:

NCAA -second w/e of June
    Domestic pro meets - thru the first 3 weeks of June
    USATF - early to mid-July
    DLs - through mid-Aug
    WC - first 2 w/e's of Sept
    Zurich (or Brussels) - 3rd w/e of Sept.

All in favor?!

P.S. The schedules of other sports will ALWAYS compete with and overshadow T&F, so F-em - we do what works for us.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    orts
    P.S. The schedules of other sports will ALWAYS compete with and overshadow T&F, so F-em - we do what works for us.
    Competition with other sports affects the value of the WC to broadcasters and their sponsors. You can't just say F-em without considering the diminution of revenue to WA that would result from conflicts with the schedules of other sports.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    So you go up against the US Open. Good luck with the media coverage and the TV viewership.
    But that logic went out the window with Doha. The IAAF clearly doesn't care at all who they go against on TV as long as they make money somehow. NFL, NHL, MLB, soccer leagues all over Europe, didn't bother the IAAF at all, why should tennis?

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    NBC covers track as a promo for their Olympic coverage which is where all the marbles are... they probably believe that if anyone is watching it's a bonus...

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    But that logic went out the window with Doha. The IAAF clearly doesn't care at all who they go against on TV ...
    American TV, a big revenue source, might indeed think twice before going against US Open in September

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    Which were off the charts - multiple stories in every US newspaper and Super Bowl-type numbers on the TV . . .