Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

It's possible that one factor that contributed to the high quality performances was the unusually long break between the end of the Diamond League season and the beginning of the WC.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    It's possible that one factor that contributed to the high quality performances was the unusually long break between the end of the Diamond League season and the beginning of the WC.
    The climate-controlled conditions in the stadium helped as well. But those were also the first major championships, in my memory at least, when all distance races were fast. Not sure how to explain that one.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

The Hungarian point rankings are shown HERE. And that was before the last day, so the final score would be even better.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

Ending the year on a WC this good, this late, was perfect.
    But, if the WC/OG ends any time before the beginning of Sept, there should be one more Zurichesque meet to have one last encore.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    The climate-controlled conditions in the stadium helped as well. But those were also the first major championships, in my memory at least, when all distance races were fast. Not sure how to explain that one.
    The African runners did not want to chance being outsprinted after a pedestrian pace(after the Rio 1500m debacle) so they took matters in to their own hands and no one had an answer...and no one will have an answer for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 10-07-2019 at 07:06 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    The African runners did not want to chance being outsprinted after a pedestrian pace(after the Rio 1500m debacle) so they took matters in to their own hands and no one had an answer...and no one will have an answer for the foreseeable future.
    And I really like that, but I do understand that few distances runners like that . . . mostly because they realize they can't cope with it?
    Train to be a
    3:29
    12:50
    26:40
    runner and then you won't have any worries!

7. Collapse Details

Never thought of a late Championships as a factor in performances. Now having thought about it......

Mexico City '68. Everyone's "eye test" says not only great, but historic! (too many WR's, OR's to count!) Now, late in the year v. altitude v. new Mondo surface......(alright, too much of an outlier!)

Sydney, 2000. 6 ORs, but no WR. 1 AR.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    And I really like that, but I do understand that few distances runners like that . . . mostly because they realize they can't cope with it?
    Train to be a
    3:29
    12:50
    26:40
    runner and then you won't have any worries!
    13 out of 15 distance event medals in men's competition/13 of 15 in women's competition won by African or African-born runners. No going back! And you had better be able to attain those times you mention without the pacers you have in the DL and after running rounds in 1500, steeple and 5000.
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 10-07-2019 at 09:17 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by einnod23 View Post
    Sydney, 2000. 6 ORs, but no WR. 1 AR.
    Sydney did not have great weather conditions, though. Too cold, at least on most data.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Sydney did not have great weather conditions, though. Too cold, at least on most data.
    As someone who was somewhat underdressed on several nights in the Stadium in 2000 I can confirm it certainly wasn't ideal conditions. But shorts etc were viable some nights.