Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Was late Doha WC actually a GOOD thing?
    A rank amateur raises a question: I am struck by the number of truly outstanding performances at this WC. Could part of the reason be BECAUSE the WC is so late? I have the impression that a lot of athletes have used this long "gap" to train intensively for just this meet, with out the pressure/aches and pains of the DL and other meetings. Some athletes (Barshim, Naser, Kovacs come to mind) have been able to go way beyond anything they have done earlier in the season.

2. Collapse Details

I think the September/October time frame is a good idea. The Worlds or Olympics should be the last meet of the season. Anything after is anti-climatic.

3. Collapse Details

But the Olympics can no longer be that late in the year because of tv commitments.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    But the Olympics can no longer be that late in the year because of tv commitments.
    The Olympics is what it is, its timing is not under IAAF control. But if it ever happens to be in September or October again, as it was in 1988 and 2000, that's a good thing for track & field.

5. Collapse Details

Perhaps, but again, given the current demands of tv, that's not going to happen.

6. Collapse Details

I saw a stastic showing these WC were the best ever in terms of quality of performances (scored on the Hungarian tables).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

I hate it being so late

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    It certainly wouldn't be a great idea having it this late in Eugene....I couldn't imagine trying to compete with Ducks football....and the weather is getting on the chilly side.

9. Collapse Details

It would be impossible in Eugene once school starts. Never mind football. The WC athletes need the dorm space.

10. Collapse Details

Only Powell's response is relevant to my question. In this particular case, was it especially helpful to some athletes that the WC came so late in the season? I wasn't asking whether WCs or Olympics should always come so late...