Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

If you get nominated by national federation and compete wearing a national team jersey, it stands to reason it should count as representing a country.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

So here's the athlete in question: Allison Reaser Halverson, 2014 NCAA hep runner-up out of San Diego State University:

https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2...okyo-olympics/

Hope she doesn't have to wait three years.

K . E . N.

3. Collapse Details

So I'm confused. If the above discussion of the rules and the recent amendment is intended to conclude that the Thorpe Cup is NOT a National Representative Competition, what about the 2016 Pan Am Combined Events Cup, in which Halverson competed as a member of the USATF National Team?

Based on this description, it sure sounds like a National Representative Competition.

http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calend...rocedures.aspx

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    So I'm confused. If the above discussion of the rules and the recent amendment is intended to conclude that the Thorpe Cup is NOT a National Representative Competition, what about the 2016 Pan Am Combined Events Cup, in which Halverson competed as a member of the USATF National Team?
    I think it's pretty clear that they were both National Representative Competitions.

5. Collapse Details

And that would mean that under Rule 5 (as amended) a three-year wait would apply to an application by Halverson to represent Armenia, right?

As I read the Rule 5 amendment, at the end of 3 years she would need to show that (in addition to citizenship) she "has or will have a genuine, close, credible and established link to that Country or Territory (e.g., through Residence there)."

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    It is not at all accurate to say Mondo was "granted permission" to compete for Sweden. Mondo was a Swedish citizen at birth and has ALWAYS represented Sweden in competition, as did his older brother.

Mondo did NOT have to go through the approval process that Allison will, and really should not be part of the conversation.

Jillian Schwartz would be a better example of an American athlete who competed for Team USA and went on to compete for a different federation (Israel).

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    And that would mean that under Rule 5 (as amended) a three-year wait would apply to an application by Halverson to represent Armenia, right?

As I read the Rule 5 amendment, at the end of 3 years she would need to show that (in addition to citizenship) she "has or will have a genuine, close, credible and established link to that Country or Territory (e.g., through Residence there)."

The three year wait can be waived, and usually is, in terms of three years from the application date. But I think it would be hard to get it waived if it has been less than three years from the last national representative competition.

I'm also not sure how strictly the last sentence above would be applied, but it probably does not help her case that she has never even been there.

The cases I am familiar with since the rules changed involved athletes joining Team USA who had lived and worked in the country for many years, there was no question about established link.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    The three year wait can be waived, and usually is, in terms of three years from the application date. But I think it would be hard to get it waived if it has been less than three years from the last national representative competition.
    Agreed. A waiver of the requirement by IAAF discretion is reserved for "exceptional" circumstances. Not clear what kind of circumstance would be considered "exceptional."

9. Collapse Details

Agreed. A waiver of the requirement by IAAF discretion is reserved for "exceptional" circumstances. Not clear what kind of circumstance would be considered "exceptional."
    i'd guess some sort of political persecution...like someone who is unwelcome in their own country due to stuff like ethnic or religious differences from those in power

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    From the cases I am familiar with, athletes who have lived and worked in America for many years and finally just got their citizenship, and who all had well over 3 years since they last represented their previous country, they all had the requirement of 3 years from application waived.

I don't think they had to prove any exceptional hardship as to why they left their country.

Athletes who have never represented a country do not have to go through the transfer of allegiance if they gain a new citizenship. I do not think we have anywhere near 100 Americans to have completed a transfer of allegiance (coming or going).

I think we have many Americans with dual citizenship (either by birth, or who gained a second citizenship later in life) who decided to compete for their other country.